SmartPower 2.0 or TruePower 2.0?

Quantum

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
215
Which one should I buy SmartPower 2.0 500W or TruePower 2.0 480W? I'm building a new rig and almost forgot the PSU.

This is what I'm getting:
CPU: Athlon XP 64 3200+
MB: K8N NEO4 FI
GPU: Sapphire X800GTO2 (will be unlocked and clocked to X850XT (PE) speeds)
HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA
MEM: OCZ Premier 2x512 PC3200
Sound: Creative SB Audigy 4
DVD-RW: NEC ND-3520A

so...which PSU?
 
TruePower 2.0, no doubt. Though the SmartPower 2.0 500W is modular... I'd still go for the tighter regulation that the TruePower 2.0 offers.
 
Both units are more than adequate for your rig. However, the extra price that you pay for the TPII over the SPII buys you tighter regulation. (Like, the SPII just meets the ATX spec of 5%, while the TPII might be made to a tighter 3% tolerance.)
 
I got a somewhat similar PC to yours, and my 450W Truepower 2.0 powers it just fine. No problems at all.
 
Thanks for the quick response I think I'm getting the TP-II

E4g1e, what do you mean by tighter regulation?
 
Quantum said:
E4g1e, what do you mean by tighter regulation?
a smaller deviance from teh spec'd 12.00v, 5.00v, and 3.30v lines. they will only deviate 3% instead of 5%
 
smart power 2.0 550w is good enough, unless u gonna do SLI. Smart Power is better because i'll save some power, les say ur rig really sucks 400W, smart power might send 410 or 400. True Power Teorically runs @ 500-550 depending on model but u won't go to 550w unless u got 2 7800gt-gtx (new cards consume less juice than some older like 6800 ultra (gas hog) ). They claim 550w but as we know manufacturers inflate specs but considering is antec theyr not too off.
 
ellover009 said:
smart power 2.0 550w is good enough, unless u gonna do SLI. Smart Power is better because i'll save some power, les say ur rig really sucks 400W, smart power might send 410 or 400. True Power Teorically runs @ 500-550 depending on model but u won't go to 550w unless u got 2 7800gt-gtx (new cards consume less juice than some older like 6800 ultra (gas hog) ). They claim 550w but as we know manufacturers inflate specs but considering is antec theyr not too off.

Actually, the Smart Power 2.0 550 does not exist. The Smart Power 2.0 line tops out at 500W - and according to davidhammock200, its maximum combined +12V amperage capacity on that PSU is only about 29A (yep, even less than the True Power 2.0 430, which has a maximum combined +12V capacity of 31A). Thus, higher wattage figures do not always equate to stronger +12V rails.
 
Back
Top