• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Smartpower 2.0 500w Enough?

shmitty

Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
885
Hi guys!
So I ordered a bundle deal on a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition and a ASUS M4A785-M mATX motherboard. I plan to buy around a 100 dollar video card and 4gb's of ram in the near future, and reuse the rest of the stuff in my sig. Should I also plan on getting a larger PSU or will my old one handle it? I will most definitely overclock this and possibly the video card so, I'm guessing I'll need an upgrade come to think of it.. If I do what is an expensive option? I do however see sub 500w( I know wattage doesn't mean everything but its a good go by) PSU's being recommended on the Gen Hard forums.

As linked from Newegg

Output +3.3V@32A, +5V@35A, +12V1@17A, +12V2@19A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2A
Efficiency 70%(min.) at full and typical loads, 115V/230Vac

and here's the egg link if you need more info.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817103937
 
Last edited:
Too old man your Smart Power PSU. I wouldn't bother resuing a power supply with no active PFC with that setup. Antec EarthWatts EA650 for $80
 
Definitely not the best idea. The Earthwatts 650W that HardwareGuru recommended would be a good choice, and you probably won't find any lower-wattage PSUs that are still adequate for your rig for a substantially lower cost, so I would go with that if I were you.
 
okay Zero 1 more shot, if I'm going to buy something I guess it'll have to be Modular
Mushkin Enhanced 580w Active PFC PSU its 20$ off and looks great! I seen where you commented a couple of times on a higher watt Mushkin that didn't have the active PFC saying it was mediocre, I'm guessing that was driven by the manufacturer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817812004
 
Modular is important I'll go up to 100$ but of course I'm going to try and find a cheaper option first. I had a Hyper 630w that fried on me and when I got the replacement I just sold it as new to a buddy because I went out and bought this Antec on sale at best buy and decided I would stick with it, after I made that move I regretted it but couldn't see shelling out the cash when the one I had worked fine.
 
Back
Top