Smart TV or streaming box?

GhostCow

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a smart tv or an add on solution that would let me stream wirelessly from a nas on my home network as well as from crunchyroll. I don't want to have to run a dedicated server to do this. Is there anything out there that fits my needs?

My understanding is that plex has to be run from a computer that has the files you want to stream. Is that not the case?

Your NAS is a computer, but depending on the type you can probably find a plugin for the NAS software for plex

Check out the Amazon Fire TV. IMHO it looks like the best streaming box out there, and it's not too expensive. Definitely better than a Smart TV.

It also uses a pretty fast SOC (Snapdragon 600) so it should be pretty quick/smooth too. It basically runs android, to there is the possibility of rooting/etc if you are into that. Plus it is really easy to port android apps over so there are/will be a lot of apps available for it.

Also, you can get a controller for it that is very similar to an Xbox controller, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Amazon Fire TV ($99)
Game Controller ($39)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
serviio and samsung smart tv's . Thats my setup and its flawless.

I think alot of samsung TV's have plex clients built into the smart TV, but anyways I would probably just add plex or serviio to your NAS and get a smart TV. New TV's now have all the apps you're get with any box.

BTW I ran the Serviio to a Samsung TV and it does work well but i use plex now cause its just more feature rich. So play with them both see what you like but they both pretty much do the same things

As far as I know, my NAS doesn't support plex. I have the WD My Cloud 4tb. From what I've been able to find out about this on my own, it seems that my NAS runs something called Twonky and that Samsung smart TVs can read from it using that.

The Amazon Fire TV looks really cool, but it doesn't have Crunchy Roll yet and can't stream from the NAS any better than anything else running Plex or Twonky as far as I know. Does anyone know if the 2014 Samsung TVs use wireless N or AC? I'd like to be able to stream 1080p content and from my own experiments, even 720p video doesn't work very well over wireless g.

In case anyone else runs across this thread, here's how it ended up working out. I bought one of the 2014 Samsung smart tvs and it can play everything from my NAS just fine wirelessly, even 1080p 10-bit encoded videos. I did not have to install plex or any other app to get it to stream from the drive.

The only annoying thing is that it seems like you can't move the apps around to organize them on the newest firmware for the Samsung TVs.

Back