smart investment

mrmodman

Limp Gawd
ok well im getting $150 and i want to add some performance to my computer
amd 64 x2 3800+ @ 2.6 on zalaman 7700
x800xl overclocked to 430/550 stock cooler (possible upgrade for hsf)
1XG gigaram 3200 @ 209
1X 512Generic ram (possible upgrade to (1X gigaram for duel channel 2 gigs)
sound blaster augity 4
80gig ide westen digital

im not sure what to get help me

Definitely throw it into the RAM. Try and pick up some second-hand 2GB kit from the forums here (unless you can get it new?)

get some more ram. For a little bit more than 150 (like... $20 more) you can get 2gb.

2gb of ram makes a world of difference in games like BF2 and Oblivion and FEAR or RTS's use alot of ram and 2gb is a good spot :D Maybe some bigger HDD and put it in raid because 80gb isn't really that much :|

From the OP I'm pretty sure he is running 1.5 GB of RAM right now, so while he might garner a little extra performance having a matched pair of 1G sticks, I don't think it will be that substantial.

I'd recommend doing the hard thing and sitting on the money, until you get a bit more and can upgrade the video card - that will be the largest performance gain by far. Only question on that - is your current system PCI-e?

since you have an x2, i am assuming you have pcie. so for the $150, you can buy one half of a decent 7900gt. jk. i dont keep up with this stuff, but i am sure you can pick up some performance with a new vid card, 850xt, 7600 g something, etc. you can get a decent set of 2gb g.skill, but that wont help as much as new vid.

Computer junk is about like cars when it comes to "investments" :p Having said that...with $150 I would either get 2gb of ram for dual channel or a bigger HD.

Sell the x800XL...

Should get $100 or more.

That means ~ $250USD. Get an x1800XT 256MB.

That would help you more then the RAM issue in your current config.

oh, he wrote that out in a confusing way... if you have 1.5gb ram, I am not so sure that getting the 2gb in dual channel will help all that much.

With 150, you can get a 7600gs... If you sell your x800xl you may be able to get a 7900gt or an x1800xt.

And run them in RAID? That's not the most cost effective way to get more HDD space. I would now say get a new video card by selling that one because I thought you only had 512mbof ram :( not 1.5gb.

Hawk said:
And run them in RAID? That's not the most cost effective way to get more HDD space. I would now say get a new video card by selling that one because I thought you only had 512mbof ram :( not 1.5gb.

how do you run raid with a raptor and a typical (i'm guessing) caviar?

still thinking you should go for a new card :D

The video card or ram are the major things holding your system back from being a killer game setup. My suggestion is to sell your current card and get a x1800xt 256MB. IMO thats the best way to see a major improvement without breaking your budget. The ram would be nice also, but unless you play BF2 a lot It isn't a requirement. A good idea might be to look up sevices in win XP that aren't needed and free up some ram untill you get more.

banned_user said:
The video card or ram are the major things holding your system back from being a killer game setup. My suggestion is to sell your current card and get a x1800xt 256MB. IMO thats the best way to see a major improvement without breaking your budget. The ram would be nice also, but unless you play BF2 a lot It isn't a requirement. A good idea might be to look up sevices in win XP that aren't needed and free up some ram untill you get more.

...how is 1.5gb of ram insufficient at all?

i would upgrade the video card by selling ur x800 and buying a 1800xt. Or buy a big sata hdd

is this a pci express mobo? Probably not?

If it is.... You can sell your xl and get a 1800xt 256megger and get another 512meg ram...

If it's AGP.. Probably want to hold out until you get a PCI express board and just upgrade another 512meg ram...

2 gig ram is really not necessary.. Perhaps battlefield or heavy multitasking with dual processors...

yes all good sugestions but im still on agp i just never made the leap to pci-e yet
but what im thinking if spening 80 and getting a nother gig and haveing 2 gigs duel channel and then a vf900 and volt mod my graphics card and squeez a little out my graphics card anyone know were a good site for a x800xl agp 256 let me know what you think

Back