Smart Doorbell

Grimham

[H]ard|Gawd
Not really sure where to put this, but since this involves networking and security I figure the subject may fit here.

I'm thinking about getting a Smart Doorbell and was wondering if anyone has any experiences with any of them? More specifically, I'd like to know if anyone has a Smart Doorbell hooked up to their 3rd party home security system and doesn't have to rely on the app that all the different devices come with? I don't really have a specific doorbell in mind, I'm just looking at the most popular ones at this time. My security system allows for eight cameras hardwired or a mixture of hardwired and wireless. I already have a couple wireless Foscams on the system to go along with the 4 wired, I'd just like to add the doorbell as well. Google does not seem to be my friend finding this information.

Before anyone asks, I don't care about using the app for two way communication or any of that stuff, I just want it to record to the security system when there's an alert and let my security system FTP off site like the rest of the cameras do. Thanks.

What I consider DIY and what someone else considers DIY is completely subjective.

A welder can fabricate an axle. I cannot.

I just noticed that my Ring Pro started working with my samsung smartthings app(can view live feed). But most smart doorbells will have their own proprietary app that you have to use to get the full functionality unfortunately.

Do you have an existing wired doorbell? It would be rather easy to have it trip a relay that can then trigger a digital input to an Arduino or Raspberry Pi and what you do from there is pretty much anything you can think of. Ex: generate a log with time stamp, take snapshot from camera, and so on. Could even have it send you an email alert on your phone.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll keep searching for more info. Like I said, all I want it to do is tie into my existing security system. I don't want to have another app to do what I already have in place with six other cameras.

I used both Ring Pro and Nest. Nest is much better quality wise. Ring Pro has better wifi connection (I think). Both require cloud storage, Ring is $30 per year and Nest starts at $50 per year. Nest records 24x7 and for $50 a year you get 5 days worth of footage stored. Ring records only 1 minute on motion. Picture quality is much better on nest. Both are very easy to install if you have existing chime and wired doorbell. Both can be had on sales for around $180.

Not really sure where to put this, but since this involves networking and security I figure the subject may fit here.

I'm thinking about getting a Smart Doorbell and was wondering if anyone has any experiences with any of them? More specifically, I'd like to know if anyone has a Smart Doorbell hooked up to their 3rd party home security system and doesn't have to rely on the app that all the different devices come with? I don't really have a specific doorbell in mind, I'm just looking at the most popular ones at this time. My security system allows for eight cameras hardwired or a mixture of hardwired and wireless. I already have a couple wireless Foscams on the system to go along with the 4 wired, I'd just like to add the doorbell as well. Google does not seem to be my friend finding this information.

Before anyone asks, I don't care about using the app for two way communication or any of that stuff, I just want it to record to the security system when there's an alert and let my security system FTP off site like the rest of the cameras do. Thanks.

What DIY system are you using for your cameras? I've been looking at doing the same. I have a server to host everything on, but don't know where to start hardware and software wise.

What DIY system are you using for your cameras? I've been looking at doing the same. I have a server to host everything on, but don't know where to start hardware and software wise.

This isn't the exact model, I can't find it (it is an Annke DNS1R I think). It's an 8 channel unit. I was worried that it was going to be a complete piece of garbage, but for the $90 I paid for it (including 4 cameras, but no hard drive), I'd give it a shot. Me and my family were so impressed (for the money) that my brother and parents now have one too. I'm sure I'd get shit on by some for my low-end setup, but it does everything I need/want it to.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back