SMART Boards Get Touch Recognition

HardOCP News

[H] News
I spotted the latest interactive whiteboard from SMART over at Engadget today and I have to say I am impressed. Hit the link for a video of it in action.

Pretty sweet. We just installed about 90 smart boards at a new school. I know the teachers would LOVE this.

When I was in Tech school for the AF 4 years ago they had those. We would always draw "random" things on them while the instructor was out of the room.

When I was in Tech school for the AF 4 years ago they had those. We would always draw "random" things on them while the instructor was out of the room.

duh thats why they have them! like drawing stick figures and putting "Callahan is a JERK!" :p

My high school got these just before I graduated. They got a grant for thousands of dollars to install these things, but couldn't replace the 10-15 year old books.

I have them at my location also and I must say that my people were not apt to change. Once introduced into what they could do that changed everything.

KM

I've got them at school, but we never use them. At least five times a semester, the smart boards are the butt of someone's "so, why do we even have those?" comment.

Doesn't seem all that special, anyone with a Wiimote, a computer, and a projector could do it on the cheap. They just packaged it.

We used these my in my college unfortunately about 80% of the Professors had no clue how to operate the boards and they were never used... :(

Doesn't seem all that special, anyone with a Wiimote, a computer, and a projector could do it on the cheap. They just packaged it.

Actually, I don't think you could in this case. Here they're telling different contexts of touch, where the Wiimote method I think only sees one type of touch...

Actually, I don't think you could in this case. Here they're telling different contexts of touch, where the Wiimote method I think only sees one type of touch...

I don't see it doing anything that a wiimote setup couldn't with the right software.

All this new tech and we get lower and lower test scores. Me thinks they should concentrate on what is wrong with the curriculum.

Whats so bad about the teacher sitting at an overhead with a transparency and a pen? Costs a hell of a lot less.

Gotta go with Renegade on this one. Chalkboards and/or transparencies usually seem to do just fine.

But then I'm a curmudgeonly old coot of 25 years, so....

It's great with all these touch techs, but i wonder if it's all that effective in a learning environment. if these things are expensive then maybe the money can be better spent elsewhere like in books?

something should be said about the effectiveness of new technology and not cause it's new and looks neat.

Back