• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Smart Array 3200

Virtblue

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 25, 2001
Messages
2,398
I just found 3 smart array 3200 dual chan pci cards in my basment. I have 24 18gb 10k drives and i was wondering if it was actualy worth spending the money on 24 sca -> lvd converters and hooking em all up.
Also is the smart array 3200 completly outdated? if so any recomendations on a raid card that at least has raid 5 or best ADG?

-VirtBlue
 
Those are 40mb/s UW Scsi Raid cards IIRC. Why not just pick up a couple of cheap drive cabinets, cables and an internal-to-external connector. I found a HELLUVA deal on some 36gb drives and now have 600gb of Raid5 storage in my basement now...

Granted it sounds like a jet engine at idle, but all the parts are readily available on fleabay for reasonable prices normally.
 
Could be fun as long as it stayed cheap. I would go with the recommendation above and try to find some external drive cages that will accept 80-pin. You then just run an external 68-pin cable from each enclosure to the external connector on the raid controller. Keeps things clean and hot-swappable.
 
THe cost of those sca-lvd converters would be pretty high for that many drives. Just go with what nate says and search around for a cheap enclosure or back plane set up.
 
Note: I'm assuming these are Compaq Smart Array cards

be careful of the smart array cards, as Compaq designed them to be usable in ONLY compaq servers using a Compaq Smart Start CD.

If its not a compaq card, well, feel free to ignore me...
 
Back
Top