Smallest Mini pc that runs linux and "xgamma -bgamma 2.0" works

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
Can anyone suggest a super mini computer to run linux to watch videos at 720p (having 1080p ability wouldn't be bad either) from a usb stick.

The only other requirement is that it has to be able to run gamma adjustment commands such as
"xgamma -bgamma 2.0 -rgamma 0.5" for example. and this works to adjust gamma while playing a video.

I have a mini arm computer but this command doesn't work with the mali graphics chip it has.

So I'm looking for something super small with very low power consumption and low cost too. Also from somewhere that accepts paypal.

Last edited:
The Intel Compute Stick does 1080p. I only remember reading about it (last spring?). Comes with OS, by Microsoft, no idea if it runs Linux. HMDI, 2GB RAM, 32GB hdd.
HP has the equivalent.

If the Intel Atom will run Linux I have seen used Dell Venue 8 PRO tablets, uh inexpensive. Do not know how well they would run a screen. Well I would think.

Intel Compute Stick runs $85 for one with 1GB RAM, 8GB storage and Ubuntu pre-installed, but reviews are poor, saying that it is insufficient memory/storage to be very useful. Windows version runs around $120 with 2GB RAM and 32GB storage, and can be had in a few brands.

If you're not in a super hurry, keep an eye out for sales of the ECS Liva series. They've gone for super cheap before except for the Core M versions. They're a bit bigger, but are a whole lineup with storage up to 64GB, RAM up to 4GB. Also, some/all (not sure) have USB 3.0, dual display outputs, LAN + WiFi, mSATA/m.2 SSD support.

Thanks, yeah it's probably better to wait and get something better than rush to get something not quite good enough now.

Can you buy the larger compute stick without windows?

[U]ber|Noob;1042057715 said:
Thanks, yeah it's probably better to wait and get something better than rush to get something not quite good enough now.

Can you buy the larger compute stick without windows?

No. It's zero cost to OEMs, so they include it.

Good news: if your PC costs less than $200, you no longer pay a Windows tax :D

Also, this version is cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ideacentre-Stick-Computer-90F20000US/dp/B014644NPI

Also, if you don't mind taking a chance on an unknown, you can try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, can anyone confirm that the gamma is adjustable (by a large amount not just a small adjustment) running windows or linux on one of these stick computers?

Under Windows I can adjust Intel HD 2000's gamma from 0.4 to 5.0 in 0.1 increments, all three color channels are independent.

Should be the same for Bay Trail.

Ok thanks, so you can make the screen appear blue for instance but with the same brightness level overall?

Does it work equally well while playing a video file that might use hardware acceleration?

Last edited:
[U]ber|Noob;1042057909 said:
Ok thanks, so you can make the screen appear blue for instance but with the same brightness level overall?

Yes, I'm not stupid. There are separate brightness, contrast and gamma controls per-color. I know the difference between brightness and gamma.

Not that I've ever used them at the color level, because I'm not color control freak like you :D

Does it work equally well while playing a video file that might use hardware acceleration?

I can't tell you that, because Intel half-assed the Windows 10 drivers for Sandy Bridge. They left out hardware acceleration. I don't care because it's a Core i3, but I can't test for you. You'll have to get someone else to do it, or take the chance (most likely it works).

I can't imagine sites like Anandech giving the thumbs-up for Intel HD Graphics for HTPC use if you couldn't adjust the gamma in hardware-accelerated playback.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I just streamed a couple 1080p YouTube videos and processor usage was below 10 percent, so it looks like lazy Intel finally enabled playback acceleration on HD 2000 in Windows 10 :D

So I can confirm gamma control in hardware-accelerated video :D

Ok thanks, I just asked about the brightness setting because with the small arm pc there is an app to adjust gamma in android but you cannot adjust brightness so you end up with a washed out look.

Back