Smallest Mini-ITX case with PCIe Support?

grandmaster

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I'm looking to integrate a PCIe x1 or x4 expansion card into as small a PC as possible without having to do extravagant mods (back in the day I actually connected a PCIe x1 card to a Merom Mac Mini via its WiFi port and it actually worked). I can work with half-height but ideally I'd like the option to work with full height too.

A Shuttle would work, but it's bigger than I was hoping for. Ideally I'd be looking at a nettop style arrangement, but aside from a thin client with an ultra low power CPU I've not found anything up to the task.

I'd be looking to use a Core i3/i5 low voltage chip, 4GB of DDR3 and twin SSDs (though we could go down to one). Optical drive not required.

The best contender so far is an Antec ISK300 150. Can anyone do better?

Thanks!

Travala C292 is the smallest I have seen. Half the size of that antec, but you're limited to a 160w pico-psu (separate purchase).

With a 65w CPU that shouldn't be a problem. I ran two HDDs and an E8400 in a Shuttle D10 with a 100W PSU.

Speaking of the D10, you wouldn't know of any mini-ITX cases with a 7-inch or so touchscreen? Or even an all-in-one with a PCIe slot? These are all options...

That's really useful, thanks!

Surprising there are no mITX cases with touchscreens though. Are there any "clip-on" LCDs or anything similar that can help to make a more portable unit?

Also with regards the Travla case, would I require a better HSF than the Intel one? Is it "safe" to use a 77w CPU or should I stick to the 65w models?

Last edited:
I would go with an undervolted 65w with that pcie card right over the cpu

That's really useful, thanks!

Surprising there are no mITX cases with touchscreens though. Are there any "clip-on" LCDs or anything similar that can help to make a more portable unit?

Also with regards the Travla case, would I require a better HSF than the Intel one? Is it "safe" to use a 77w CPU or should I stick to the 65w models?

There's this portable monitor for sticking onto laptops, I'm not sure if it would work on a case though.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0V108S5365
It's USB-powered but unlike other portable monitors, it's driven by HDMI. Other portable monitors that are driven by USB2.0 have the problem of lagging when doing anything "video-intensive" like watching video or playing games.

Edit: Oh, I just realized you were looking for a touchscreen.

Last edited:
Thanks for that - it is worth of consideration.

On the CPU front, we have the Core i5 3470T which is a 2.9GHz dual core part (so not sure why it's an i5 in the desktop space) that draws just 35w, and the 45w 3770t 2.5GHz quad... they are pricey though - how would an undervolted 65w part stack up against them?

I'd go with the 65w part if your power budget will allow for it, the TDP will only make a difference at max load anyway, and you don't want to completely cripple your CPU. Dropping down to 65w from 77w will also get you into the power envelope of the hsf's which can fit in that tiny space (like the slim silence iplus).

What pcie card are you looking at running?

Looking at the back of that case, I don't think the stock heatsink will fit under the pcie card

Thanks for that - now I just need to find someone who'll ship the Travla to the UK without charging me $130 in shipping!

Back