Smallest ITX Gaming Rig

Screes

Limp Gawd
So I've been trying to get my gaming system as small as possible for a long time now. I think i have finally found the perfect case. Now it does need a few mods, but I'll first explain what perfection is to me.

1) ITX Haswell motherboard
2) Up to a 10.5" long graphics card
3) 25mm thick 120mm fans
4) internal PSU

With those parameters, this case fits perfectly:GA-620

Total volume of the case is 5.3 liters.

First off the dimensions.

HEIGHT: It has 5mm high standoffs, with .8mm thick panels. A NH-L9i heatsink is 23mm tall, with a 25mm thick fan over it. Motherboard and CPU socket is around 8mm, which is 63mm, the total height of this system is 65mm.

WIDTH: there is space for a 10mm thick fan next to the motherboard, which won't be used. So the motherboard will be shifted 10mm towards the edge of the case. In addition the expansion slots will be flipped with the use of a flexible shielded riser cable. 170mm for the board, 127mm from the top of a graphics card to the tip of the bracket, .8mm thick panels gives us 298.6mm, the width of the case is 300mm

DEPTH: i want an internal PSU, not a DC/DC board and a brick. I found a 400w flex atx PSU that is 81.28 x 43.18 x 152.4mm. The width, plus the motherboard, and 19mm for the front USB ports is 271.88mm, total depth is 273mm. With 273mm depth, 267mm (10.5") long graphics card will fit.

PSU: Athena Power AP-MFATX40P8

Now this is the only part I'm not 100% sure about. I don't know how thick the front panel is, or exactly how deep the USB socket is. Worst case scenario i can't use the stock front faceplate and USB headers, but the PSU will definitely fit.

Now i am going to mod the PSU to remove the 40mm fan, wrap it in some Modders mesh in replace of the stock covering, and mount the power plug so it faces towards the back of the case so i won't need a 90 degree bending power cable. Also so i can keep it further from the graphics cards. PSU cables will also be cut to custom lengths.

I also plan to cut out the sides and put in Modders mesh to increase ventilation. In addition a pair of 120mm fan holes will be cut over the motherboard and GPU sections of the case. 2x Gentle Typhoon fans will be utilized to cool everything. Stock fans on the GPU will be removed so the GT fan will fit which will cool the graphics card. The fan over the motherboard will be positioned to keep the PSU in front of the motherboard cool as well.

There will only be 2 fans in the entire system, both 120mm GT's. Mass storage will be via a single SSD, so the 2 fans will be the only sources of noise. I'm going to try to use AP-12's, but if the system doesn't stay stable i might move up to AP-14's.

While i want the capability to hold a 10.5" card, I'll likely be going with a short GTX 660 from Zotac, paired up with a 35w TDP Intel i5. Total system power consumption will be under 200w.

Now there is a limitation to what cards i can fit in this case because of the PSU. The 12v rails on it are split up weird, and there is only enough power for 2x 6pin PCI-e power connectors. For now this won't be a problem for me, and hopefully before it becomes an issue i can find a replacement flex atx PSU to alleviate this problem. The fastest Nvidia card you could power with this PSU right now is a GTX760. If someone knows of a flex atx PSU with a single 12v rail that has at least 29 amps, let me know.

Haven't bought anything yet, still waiting on a paycheck. I just wanted to get feedback about any potential pitfalls that i may have overlooked.

I do have 2 questions if someone knows the answer. Exactly how long does the riser cable have to be to orient the card the way i want, and where can i get a power cable that will mount to the rear panel of the case and plug into the PSU. I'd prefer not to have to make the cable myself.

Last edited:
Now this is the only part I'm not 100% sure about. I don't know how thick the front panel is, or exactly how deep the USB socket is. Worst case scenario i can't use the stock front faceplate and USB headers, but the PSU will definitely fit.

Just eyeballing it, it looks like the internal USB panel will have to be moved or removed. You only have ~20mm to work with in terms of free space when you count for the board/PSU and the pictures look to be a bit wider than that. The front panel for the power/reset/leds will probably need to moved as well since they are right behind the USB header. It looks to be the same width.

Now i am going to mod the PSU to remove the 40mm fan, wrap it in some Modders mesh in replace of the stock covering, and mount the power plug so it faces towards the back of the case so i won't need a 90 degree bending power cable. Also so i can keep it further from the graphics cards. PSU cables will also be cut to custom lengths.

Cooling for the PSU? The unit is only bronze rated so you are going to have some heat coming off of it. I think it needs to be exhausted some how.

I also plan to cut out the sides and put in Modders mesh to increase ventilation. In addition a pair of 120mm fan holes will be cut over the motherboard and GPU sections of the case. 2x Gentle Typhoon fans will be utilized to cool everything. Stock fans on the GPU will be removed so the GT fan will fit which will cool the graphics card. The fan over the motherboard will be positioned to keep the PSU in front of the motherboard cool as well.

Well, I think airflow might be an issue in this case if you are going for maximum performance (eg: 10.5" GPU). Perhaps find a stock card with a blower option? It would exhaust a major source of heat in the case.

Just eyeballing it, it looks like the internal USB panel will have to be moved or removed. You only have ~20mm to work with in terms of free space when you count for the board/PSU and the pictures look to be a bit wider than that. The front panel for the power/reset/leds will probably need to moved as well since they are right behind the USB header. It looks to be the same width.

Cooling for the PSU? The unit is only bronze rated so you are going to have some heat coming off of it. I think it needs to be exhausted some how.

Well, I think airflow might be an issue in this case if you are going for maximum performance (eg: 10.5" GPU). Perhaps find a stock card with a blower option? It would exhaust a major source of heat in the case.

Cooling for the PSU will be via the 120mm fan right next to it over the motherboard. Fans don't blow straight, they blow out to the sides, so it will be blowing right on the PSU. Even though it's only 1 side of the fan, it's a 120mm that is taking the place of a 40mm fan. I'm quite sure the airflow will be about the same, if not more.

For the GPU, I'm going with one with a top down cooler, going to just take the stock fans off and have the 120mm fan blowing on the stock heatsinks instead.

There will only be 2 fans in the entire system, both 120mm GT's.

While i want the capability to hold a 10.5" card, I'll likely be going with a short GTX 660 from Zotac. Also, the CPU i want is an i5 with a 35w TDP. Total system power consumption will be under 200 watts.

While the case can physically hold a 10.5" card, the problem right now is the PSU. The 12v rails on it are weird, and there isn't enough power running to the PCI-e power plugs for more than 2x 6pin's. So the best i could do with this power supply is a GTX 770. The 780 and Titan have 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin which is about 75 more watts than this PSU can handle.

So I threw together the build into sketchup, and a couple of problems arose.

1) the tip of the PCI-e bracket will stick through the side of the case by about 4-5mm. Not a deal breaker for me, just something i need to plan for. I can always cut down the bracket a little if it's overly noticeable.

2) the AC power plug is too big for anywhere on the back of the case. So I'm trying to decide between putting it on the side of the case, or using a normal extension cable and have the end hang out the back of the case, so i would only need to fit the diameter of the cable through the case. I'm leaning towards option 2, because the only good place to put the power plug on the side is near the front since the power daughter-board on the ITX motherboard i want will keep it from going near the back of the case. I suppose i could use a different motherboard and put the plug near the back corner of the case. I dunno, I'll have to think about it some more.

Otherwise everything else seems to fit perfectly. I'll continue to refine the model to see if i can catch anything else that might be a problem.

Been working on the smallest gaming pc.Still in works and it does all fit. PIC Specs:

ASRock Z77E-ITX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
FSP Group FSP450-60GHS(85)-R 450W Micro ATX
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
APEVIA X-FIT-200 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Back