Smallest cooler for 2950x? Special case...

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I am getting a 2950x tonight, but I desperately need my PC for my living. So until I receive an XSPC block what is the smallest CLC that will cool my 2950x until I get my h20 block later?

I am going to disable half the cores and run it as an cooler 8 core mode until I get a block.

This is my second threadripper and I had an EK block and sold it along with my 1950x.

Since it will be in 8 core mode and I wont be heavily loading, could a simple coolermaster 120mm CLC keep it tame?

Just looking for an inexpensive microcenter cooler.

What about a cooler master hyper 212? Pending I could figure out how to mount one. I have one in a box at home.

Last edited:
A 2950x is a 16 core cpu not an 8-core one. AMD doeasn't have a 1900X equivalent in the 29xx series. You would need something equivalent to the one you used for your 1950x. That said if you don't intend to stress it hard, I would say any 2x120 or 2x280mm CLC would do. If you are really babying it - no benchies or anything nasty like that, a 1x120 like a Corsair H80 would do.

No matter what you put on there as long as you don't turn off the PROCHOT setting, you would be fine and things won't croak.

A 2950x is a 16 core cpu not an 8-core one. AMD doeasn't have a 1900X equivalent in the 29xx series. You would need something equivalent to the one you used for your 1950x. That said if you don't intend to stress it hard, I would say any 2x120 or 2x280mm CLC would do. If you are really babying it - no benchies or anything nasty like that, a 1x120 like a Corsair H80 would do.

No matter what you put on there as long as you don't turn off the PROCHOT setting, you would be fine and things won't croak.

Thanks for suggestion.

I dont think you read my post correctly but that's ok. I edited it to make it less ambiguous.

I am going to disable half the cores via using just one of the CCX in bios. To reduce load and heat on the package.

I am fully aware of the prod stack and capabilities.

I wanted to get away with something cheap until a h2o block arrives to put in my custom loop.

I just live far from microcenter and wanted to get the cooler while I am down there tomorrow morning. They dont sell shit for cooling threadripper except those CLC based on asetek blocks and pumps.

Last edited:
Thanks for suggestion.

I dont think you read my post correctly.

I am going to disable half the cores via using just one of the CCX in bios. To reduce load and heat on the package.

I am fully aware of the stack and capabilities.

I wanted to get away with something cheap until a h2o block arrives to put in my custom loop.

I just live far from microcenter and wanted to get the cooler while I am down there tomorrow morning.

In that case, anything that cools the 2700x should do.

I wasnt sure if there is actually still reduced thermals being produced by an inactive ccx since it's still electrically active just not logically.

That was really my concern.

If you're able to "disable" the ccx, even though it's electrically active, it should not have any load, so look at as idling I guess.

I wasnt sure if there is actually still reduced thermals being produced by an inactive ccx since it's still electrically active just not logically.

That was really my concern.
Thanks for clarifying that you are disabling half your cores - that makes more sense. There should be lowered thermals when half the cores are deactivated sine the Ryzens can clock up on a per-core basis. Since one of the packages will not be getting any work to do they will put out no more than idle heat. Overall there will be more heat generated compared to a 2700x, it will be less than having all 16 cores active.A smaller cheap cooler will still be perfectly usable as long as the clocking is left at the default (overclocking works globally on these and will apply even to deactivated cores).

I ran my 1950x with a corsair h55 and it coped fine. If you aren't overclocking you don't need to disable any cores.

Well to update, I will be ok for now. I found my other unused EKrap block to use for now. Going to order an XSPC block soon. The EK is better than nothing and best of all I found it. I didn't mention it because I thought it was lost for good.

Back