Smallest 1U/Flex PSU >700W

Hermit2001

Weaksauce
I've been playing with case designs recently since modding my M1 and been inspired by the GTR GT3-BH, Dan's A4-SFX and the Hutzy XS.
There have been some PSUs that kick out a goodly amount of power but I wonder if anyone has found anything better.
Obviously some of these aren't available but as a starting point:

FSP500-50FSPT-FSP GROUP :::PC Power Supply, IPC Power Supply, Open Frame, Adapter :::
500W in 0.495 litres (1010 W/l) (platinum rated)

FSP700-80UEPB-FSP GROUP :::PC Power Supply, IPC Power Supply, Open Frame, Adapter :::
700W in 0.972 litres (720 W/l) (platinum rated)

Logic Case SC-SG1U700 | Single 1U 700W 80 plus PSU
700W in 0.88 litres (795 W/l) (gold rated)

Has anyone come across something in the 900W range that could power consumer grade equipment (i.e. comes with PEG connectors for GPUs)?

1U high PSUs, no matter whether regular or FlexATX, are designed for server use, so they never have PEG connectors. If you put GPUs in your server, e.g. for GPGPU applications, you'll be talking about 3U racks in which you can use a much larger PSU anyway.
The only company I know of that sells 1U PSUs with PEG connectors is AthenaPower, but their PSUs aren't even able to deliver their rated power, so I wouldn't recommend them at all.

AFAIK, the FSP500-50FSPT has the highest power density of all currently available ATX compatible PSUs on the world. If you really want to go for the 900W range, use two of those in your case next to each other and use a double PSU adapter. That's the only way you can really get to this sort of power in that form factor.

Can't you use dual molex to 6 pin PCIE? Is this a horrible idea?

Those work absolutely fine, but if you need a 700W PSU, you're probably looking to power two high-end GPUs, so you'd need 4 of those, which means 8 IDE connectors on the PSU.

Also, all of these PSUs have multiple 12V rails to my knowledge, so you need to make sure the load is properly balanced between them. Often that means you've got to rework pretty much all 12V connectors, including the EPS12V one.

Back