small wireless network question

hey, im new to the whole networking thing. im at college and just set up a wireless router with my roommate, but my question is: how do i give it a password so you need to know what it is it use the router? i changed the SSID and other default passwords and such. but how do i get a password on it?

thanks so much, and sorry for such a noob question :rolleyes:

If you're looking for a password to connect each time, you need something better than the router's security. Something like no-cat auth capivity portal would be required. But, you don't need that for security.

Like the other posters have said, WPA is what you want, but if you don't ahve WPA then WEP is good enough to keep casual passers by off, and for that matter MAC filtering will work as well. But if someone wants on your network and knows a thing or 2, they will get passed both MAC filtering and WEP.

Either way, with WEP or WPA you set up a key on the router, and then enter that key into the connection settings on your computers, and that's it. Anyone with the key can get on, and with WPA it's unlikely someone will obtain the key without taking some serious time to uncover it, and even then it's unlikely if your re-key interval is <=100 seconds.

AuroraProject said:
Enable some type of security, like WEP or WPA. What is the make/model of the router?

thanks for all the replys, its a linksys wireless-g/4-port switch and i have WPA.... but relating to what thedude42 said, i made a key for WPA, but how do i "enter that key into the connection settings on your computers"?

it will ask you for it when you attempt to connect to your network.

If you don't enter the right one then you're out of luck and can't use it.

Back