Small upgrade parts decision

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
I would like to upgrade my current gaming rig. So far I am not having any problems with any of my games. Most graphically intensive is GTA4 and its playing fine.
Current build is old. Bought everything brand new top of the line in dec05. Build WAS as follows.
Processor - AMD X2 4800+
Ram - 2Gigs of OCZ Platinum
Motherboard - Abit AN8 Ultra
Video - nvidia 7800GTX
Sound - Creative Xfi
Case - Antec P-160WF
Power - Antec NeoHE 550
Monitor - Viewsonic VX924
Hard drives - 2 Samsung spinpoint 200G

I have since upgraded my Video car to a PNY Nvidia GTS250 1gig.
I was reading a review on toms hardware and figured I would like to see about just upgrading proc/mobo/ram.
I was looking at GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 link
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz link
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 link
Its a slight upgrade and would only run me around $270 before shipping.
This computer is pretty much my main computer. I want to upgrade to win7 and right now I use this for video creation/editing, browsing and gaming. At the moment I dont have any games that will not run on my system as it is.
Anyone know of any problems that would arise from these parts going together?

That is an excellent upgrade to your current system, I am looking at something very similar for my workstation as we speak. My only note is regarding the processor, if you are able to spring for a lower end Phenom II it is worth it as the L3 cache does speed things up a fair bit.

I would suggest looking at getting a x4 925 in place of that x4 620.

I will look into that. I am trying to keep costs down hence the reason I was shooting for the $99 proc.
Anyone see any problems with keeping my PS? I love my HDD's and I currently use a sata dvd burner.

I am not a powersupply person, Danny would be better able help you than me.

p.s. GTS 250 is ok upgrade, I personally would get a 5750 512MB or 4870 1 GB.

That is an excellent power supply and it will be very useful as long as you stay with a single card configuration. Seeing that board that you have chosen only has one PCI-E slot you are good to go.

Every part you have chosen will use less power than your current ones. The processor has a lower TDP, new boards use higher quality components to draw less power (NF4 was brutal!), and DDR2 runs at a lower voltage to use a little less power. Even if you decide and go with an X4 925 you will be good to go.

I am not a powersupply person, Danny would be better able help you than me.

p.s. GTS 250 is ok upgrade, I personally would get a 5750 512MB or 4870 1 GB.

He already purchased the GTS 250, it is a good video card :)

Yes I have already bought it and have been using it. I know allot of people would not have gone that route but it was a major upgrade from my 7800GTX and it is allowing me to play GTA4 with the 1 gig of ram. Game would not really play on the old 7800. Game would load but it would not load any textures past 1 foot from Niko so it was pointless.
That is good to know about the PS. I rather like it. I have not had a desire to go SLI with today's variation due to spending the extra money. I used to be able to spend the money on that kind of thing but real life impedes with the price.
I will be able to upgrade my HTPC with the dual core 939 and ram once I make this switch. Maybe then I can go true HD with it now :p.

With any OK newer video card run CoreAVC and Media Player Classic and any 1080P video should be silky smooth :)

Forget that X4 620 Propus quad cpu. The lack of the L3 cache in that cpu will choke in gaming. You're better off getting a Phenom II X3 720 triple core cpu that has 6MB of L3 cache. The X4 620 only has 2MB L2 cache

AMD Phenom II X3 720 + G. Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 both for $193.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.286521

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P for $79.99 ($10 MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

Total: $273.98 before shipping. This is just a few dollars more than what you had with the X4 620 quad cpu.

I agree with HG and shiro. Lack of L3 cache kills the deal on the Propus offerings, if building a gaming rig.

The GTS250 is simply a slightly updated version of the 9800GTX+, which is basically a slightly updated version of the G92 cards (8800GT/GTS 512MB). The added VRAM only helps with higher details in games. An HD4850 would have been a better choice, IMO (newer tech, better performance for your money).

Back