Small subwoofer recommendations?

Mr. Wolf

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
7,162
Looks like my Tyke sub is on its way out. I'd like to get something with an 8" or 10" woofer and no more than 150 watt amp. Smaller is better; no more than $150. So far, I'm looking at...

Dayton Audio Sub-100
BIC V1020
BIC V80

Any other suggestions?
 
what is the rest of your system?

the dayton-100 is a good deal

i wold also go for the onyx X-sub. it is $200 and you would be hard pressed to find anything close for $200

if you want real power on the cheap the svs PB10-NSD is about the best and audiogon has one for $300

sorry about going over your budget but after stepping up what i was willing to spend i found some stuff worth the saving.

a used z5500 can be found cheap and runs great as well.

oops i saw you have x-ls's for $150 the dayton is your best bet outside of DIY.
 
Looks like my Tyke sub is on its way out. I'd like to get something with an 8" or 10" woofer and no more than 150 watt amp. Smaller is better; no more than $150. So far, I'm looking at...

Dayton Audio Sub-100
BIC V1020
BIC V80

Any other suggestions?

Also give a shot? Way under rated IMHO!

$148.88 EA
*150W (very efficient)
*Frequency response: 25 - 180Hz
*Exterior dimensions: 14-3/4" W x 17-5/8" H x 18" D.

To each his or her own but please give me an adjustable front firing Sub.
 
Also give a shot? Way under rated IMHO!

$148.88 EA
*150W (very efficient)
*Frequency response: 25 - 180Hz
*Exterior dimensions: 14-3/4" W x 17-5/8" H x 18" D.

To each his or her own but please give me an adjustable front firing Sub.
Yeah, that 12" Dayton is tempting, as well. It's gonna come down to the 2 Daytons. I've had better results with front-firing subs, anyway. That's also why I'm not considering the X-sub.
 
Yeah, that 12" Dayton is tempting, as well. It's gonna come down to the 2 Daytons. I've had better results with front-firing subs, anyway. That's also why I'm not considering the X-sub.

Personally I would skip on the Dayton 12"

I had it for a couple weeks and took it back.

I live about 15 minutes from both PartsExpress stores, so I could easily swing by to return it.


The problem I had with it was that it was boomy and seemed to lack precision. It can get loud, but doesn't sound very good doing it.

The 8" and 10" just seemed to sound more or less the same. Just on a smaller scale.
 
Personally I would skip on the Dayton 12"

I had it for a couple weeks and took it back.

I live about 15 minutes from both PartsExpress stores, so I could easily swing by to return it.


The problem I had with it was that it was boomy and seemed to lack precision. It can get loud, but doesn't sound very good doing it.

The 8" and 10" just seemed to sound more or less the same. Just on a smaller scale.
Interesting... Did you end up choosing one of the smaller subs or go with a different model altogether?
 
Interesting... Did you end up choosing one of the smaller subs or go with a different model altogether?

Not using a sub right now.


Probably save up a few extra bucks up and get the BIC Acoustech H-100. For around about $200 plus shipping, its easily the best in class for the price range.
 
I've read a lot of good stuff about that BIC. It's probably the way to go.
 
Not using a sub right now.

Probably save up a few extra bucks up and get the BIC Acoustech H-100. For around about $200 plus shipping, its easily the best in class for the price range.

You mean in your opinion right? Some of us love the boomyness LOL!
 
I've read a lot of good stuff about that BIC. It's probably the way to go.

Again, that's why I said to each his or her own. The only way to really tell which is *best* is to hear it yourself. Whats sweet to one person might be shit to the next and that includes the Dayton.
 
You mean in your opinion right? Some of us love the boomyness LOL!

My opinion and the same opinion of nearly everyone at http://avsforum.com/

I have yet to read a negative review of the H-100. Its a superior designed, budget subwoofer that had the input of Dr. HSU of HSU Research.




Besides, boomyness is for 16 year old kids in cars.

Boomyness != clean, extended and deep bass.
 
Jesus, everyone relax. I just asked for some opinions. I can't spend a lot of time auditioning every sub in person. None of these subs are available locally, so I have to rely on those with experience. I want a sub for my PC system and that's it. The BIC is a great sub, but far more than what I need. However, it's not a whole lot more expensive than the two Daytons, so it's a better buy in the long run. Besides, I can move it to my home theater when I upgrade the speakers in another year or so. Thanks for the suggestions.
 
$148.88 EA
*150W (very efficient)
*Frequency response: 25 - 180Hz
These specs might be intriguing if they weren't actually totally meaningless.

25Hz at what? -3dB? -20dB? 150W RMS? Peak? At what level of harmonic distortion at what frequencies?

I'm sorry, but I don't recommend buying subwoofers from anyone who can't, or is afraid to, answer these kinds of questions.
 
My opinion and the same opinion of nearly everyone at http://avsforum.com/

I have yet to read a negative review of the H-100. Its a superior designed, budget subwoofer that had the input of Dr. HSU of HSU Research.

Besides, boomyness is for 16 year old kids in cars.

Boomyness != clean, extended and deep bass.

There's an Old saying that goes something like this. Opinions are like Assholes and each one smells distintively different but still stinks. I couldn't give a flip about you or those folks, it's still just an Opinion and yours stinks. Boomyness is a matter you or anyone problaly not knowing how to properly set up a Sub LOL! Only an IDIOT would think or exect everyone to like the same thing. That why I suggested he try them, sheesh!

16 year old kid LOL!
 
These specs might be intriguing if they weren't actually totally meaningless.

25Hz at what? -3dB? -20dB? 150W RMS? Peak? At what level of harmonic distortion at what frequencies?

I'm sorry, but I don't recommend buying subwoofers from anyone who can't, or is afraid to, answer these kinds of questions.

I didn't say they did mean anything, but Dayton isn't known for lying and many think they're conservative on their numbers. The sub is front firing and can be adjusted from wide to narrow or and is very flexible.

I'm NOT saying it was the best sub around. The poster said;

Looks like my Tyke sub is on its way out. I'd like to get something with an 8" or 10" woofer and no more than 150 watt amp. Smaller is better; no more than $150. So far, I'm looking at...

So the other guy talking about 16 year old must have missed that line. I could think of a few Subs that's better IMHO but he asked about $150 Sub, Not A set of Martin Logans LOL! Buy a set of Minis and be done with it.
 
Jesus, everyone relax. I just asked for some opinions. I can't spend a lot of time auditioning every sub in person. None of these subs are available locally, so I have to rely on those with experience. I want a sub for my PC system and that's it. The BIC is a great sub, but far more than what I need. However, it's not a whole lot more expensive than the two Daytons, so it's a better buy in the long run. Besides, I can move it to my home theater when I upgrade the speakers in another year or so. Thanks for the suggestions.

Shakes head!
 
I'm not sure there's any subjectivity regarding subs. "Boomyness" refers to a sub's inadequacies at faithfully recreating the supplied signal, not a "feature". It's predominantly caused by resonance (thusly harmonic distortion) and/or by the magnet that doesn't have the capability to reduce the woofer's kinetic energy sufficiently quickly enough to maintain the original signal (or to produce sufficient transients, for that matter).

If the original signal has a boomy kick (like if the mixer used the keyed-gate oscillator trick on the kick), a tight sub can reproduce that boomyness. If the original signal has an extremely tight and clean kick, the tight sub will reproduce that, while the boomy sub physically cannot. That's a shortcoming -- not a feature.
 
I said some of us like Boomyness LOL! Since when is the fuck is "LOL!" meant seriousness? That might not even apply to me personally. The guy set a price point of $150 and I didn't say NO NO NO, spend more because that other one sucks.

Each persons hearing is NOT the same same, please accept at least that much? Mr. Wolf has other rigs on the Show your Speakers thread. I personally like Velodyne but that's not what the OP asked about now isn't it?
 
I understand what your saying Phide. You see alot of guys with systems like that. They put on their media and you hear this boomy one-noted bass. They say "Wow, listen to that thump" -Yeah sounds like Crap. The word "Boominess" can mean alot of different things when speaking about subs or bass in general but from my experience boominess is not a trait desired in a subwoofer. Just my opinion though.
 
I didn't say they did mean anything, but Dayton isn't known for lying and many think they're conservative on their numbers.
That's fine, but, unfortunately, that still doesn't make their figures meaningful. If I didn't question them, somebody else would have (hopefully).

We all just need to be aware that this stuff can be very misleading.

I said some of us like Boomyness LOL! Since when is the fuck is "LOL!" meant seriousness?
It's not our place to make the distinction as to when you're joking and when you're serious. It seems that you use "LOL" so often that I've completely lost the ability to make that distinction.

IEach persons hearing is NOT the same same, please accept at least that much?
I didn't realize this was a point of contention. I'm an engineer. Ergo, this is a fact I've known for quite some time.

In any case, I'm trying to think of other sub-$200 subs that would be worth buying, but I think we have them all covered. I still think the x-sub is the best buy of the bunch despite being somewhat beyond the OP's budget.
 
That's fine, but, unfortunately, that still doesn't make their figures meaningful. If I didn't question them, somebody else would have (hopefully).

We all just need to be aware that this stuff can be very misleading.


It's not our place to make the distinction as to when you're joking and when you're serious. It seems that you use "LOL" so often that I've completely lost the ability to make that distinction.


I didn't realize this was a point of contention. I'm an engineer. Ergo, this is a fact I've known for quite some time.

In any case, I'm trying to think of other sub-$200 subs that would be worth buying, but I think we have them all covered. I still think the x-sub is the best buy of the bunch despite being somewhat beyond the OP's budget.

Dewd, the guy asked about a $150 sub, NOT for all of this BS!
 
hey... if you get the dayton-100 and you don't like it i will pay you to ship it to me and then i will look at it RREEAALLY hard and then sent it back to you to see if it sounds better. BIC is great but the last BIC sub i heard was about 7 years ago so my mind might be filling in any blanks if there where any. my uncle has two with very similar to the V1020 but like i said... it was a while ago. they where in his pool/game room that is about 24x20x10, music only though.
 
Dewd, the guy asked about a $150 sub, NOT for all of this BS!


Yes he wanted something for $150 or less, we know this. But I would feel borderline guilty no letting someone know about a better product or solution if they ask for our advice. Especially if it only cost a little more money.



There was no need for your hostility from your previous posts.

Several of us were just pointing out better sounding solutions and giving our reasons why he should consider them.
 
Yes he wanted something for $150 or less, we know this. But I would feel borderline guilty no letting someone know about a better product or solution if they ask for our advice. Especially if it only cost a little more money.

There was no need for your hostility from your previous posts.

Several of us were just pointing out better sounding solutions and giving our reasons why he should consider them.

I have more respect for Mr. Wolf than to think is some kind of Newbi.

Please don't try that us against you BS when phide the peace maker gave you a free-pass on your 16 year old kid comment. Oh please I wasn't hostile at all. I didn't say the best, you did. You can't tell him or anyone else how that sub will sound to HIS EARS.

I knew BIC when they were still called Venturi (BIC bought out). Again, that's NOT what the guy asked about.
 
Please don't try that us against you BS when phide the peace maker gave you a free-pass on your 16 year old kid comment.

Free pass on my 16 year old comment?

Personally I thought it was humorous.


I didn't say the best, you did.

I said best in class. I didn't say best period.



You can't tell him or anyone else how that sub will sound to HIS EARS.

Funny, he seems to be asking for them:

I just asked for some opinions. I can't spend a lot of time auditioning every sub in person. None of these subs are available locally, so I have to rely on those with experience.



I have practical experience with the Dayton 12" and have listened to both the 8" and the 10" as well. Have you, Donnie?


Considering the quality of the rest of the OP's equipment, I thought it appropriate to suggest similiar quality.


MY hands on experience with the Dayton 12" is that its a boomy blackbox not suitable to be mated with the OP's Onix speakers.

I just don't think he would be happy going that route.
 
Oh, I just asked the eternal question: If a tree falls in the forest, but no one's there to hear it, did it make a sound? :p

I appreciate all the passion for good audio. I think I'm gonna keep looking for a while. The BIC's price ranges between $245 - $299 from all the searches I did. That's just too high for what I want for my 2.1 PC audio system. To be honest, I wish I could find a single sub from a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system. That's the kind of bass performance I'd really like to get.
 
Oh, I just asked the eternal question: If a tree falls in the forest, but no one's there to hear it, did it make a sound? :p

I appreciate all the passion for good audio. I think I'm gonna keep looking for a while. The BIC's price ranges between $245 - $299 from all the searches I did. That's just too high for what I want for my 2.1 PC audio system. To be honest, I wish I could find a single sub from a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system. That's the kind of bass performance I'd really like to get.

It's difficult to get a solidly good sub for under $200.... once you get up to about $400 though, the options open up quite a bit. So, yeah... save up and stick with what you got right now. Chances are, being late to the party is a lot better than showing up with a beater... so to speak.

Dont worry Mr. Wolf, you got a good foundation to work with. It's all good, this is the fun of audio... the chase, not so much the destination.

As always, enjoy the music. :)
 
Free pass on my 16 year old comment?

Since he stepped in to offer his Engineering experience and didn't seem to offer any comments to you.

Personally I thought it was humorous.

It was humorous that you didn't read the request.

I said best in class. I didn't say best period.

Simple, the guy asked about $150 small sub, not a thing about saving more money or class. Spend $150 and get a better small sub than the Dayton? He didn't ask about any "God Sub".

Funny, he seems to be asking for them:
:confused:

I have practical experience with the Dayton 12" and have listened to both the 8" and the 10" as well. Have you, Donnie?

I've at least 8 different Daytons, also be the Titanic 15" and a couple pretty good DIYers Boxes.

Considering the quality of the rest of the OP's equipment, I thought it appropriate to suggest similiar quality.

When you assume thing you usually end up being the first 3 letters of the Word;) Then it's off topic!

MY hands on experience with the Dayton 12" is that its a boomy blackbox not suitable to be mated with the OP's Onix speakers.

You're NOT him so don't try to be. The same problem many of the AVS forum suffer from. The Sub can be adjusted. I also agree with the other poster. If you're talking good stuff, you yourself need to save a lot more than $200 you have so far. But again that's off topic.

I just don't think he would be happy going that route.

Your Opinion and other are allowed to disagree:) I play Bass, Tuba and Baritone. So please don't tell me how they're supposed to sound LOL! Off topic again.
 
It's difficult to get a solidly good sub for under $200.... once you get up to about $400 though, the options open up quite a bit. So, yeah... save up and stick with what you got right now. Chances are, being late to the party is a lot better than showing up with a beater... so to speak.

Dont worry Mr. Wolf, you got a good foundation to work with. It's all good, this is the fun of audio... the chase, not so much the destination.

As always, enjoy the music. :)

Sorry about all that guys:(
 
Problem solved!!

AV123 told me that the Tyke sub is under warranty. They have no more in stock, but I can credit the price towards a different sub. I'm gonna get an X-sub. With the credit, the price will be just $100.

Can't beat that!!! :D
 
Very cool. You have to like when good things happen. Enjoy your new sub.
 
Thanks! I didn't think my Tyke had a warranty, so this was a most unexpected surprise. :D
 
im glad you picked up my Xsub... your $100 is in the mail.

nice break man. i would love to have one of those for my desk.
 
Thanks to all for your suggestions and spirited debate. I'll post pics in the Speaker thread when my new sub arrives. ETA 5/30.
 
Back
Top