Small ssd just for OS only worth it?

alphaqforever247

[H]ard|Gawd
Thinking of going ssd but they are very expensive. I dunno if this will work to any advantage but does installing os in ssd and installing games and everything else on a regular hard drive worth it as far as speed with stuff that isnt installed on the ssd. sorry to sound lost but pretty clueless when it comes to ssd.

Extremely worth it, as long as you're the type of person who can manage where programs and files are placed

No, things not on the ssd will take a long time to load etc. and Peteman100 means that depending on the size of the ssd, say you got a 40GB ssd, you could put maybe one game and some of your programs. But the rest would have to be installed onto your hard drive and since the default position to install programs will be on the ssd you'll have to change the path to a secondary program files folder on your hdd. You will also have to watch your documents folder, download folder, and your desktop for getting too cluttered with files and delete or move the folders to your hdd.

A secondary option could be ssd caching, but its not worth it if you can manage your system to the extent that i described.

I have a 128BG Crucial M4 SSD as my boot drive and a Samsung 750GB (mechanical) as my storage/game/odd program install drive. I will never go back to a mechanical boot drive. SSDs to me, are one of those things you have to use and then go back to a mechanical to really appreciate.

If your OS is Win7 then be careful. I suggest the following as only guidelines for an SSD using Win7:
- 40G would require serious space management over time. Might be better to use it for caching.
- 60G after time will require space management.
- 80G should be fine with OS and limited applications.
- 120+G can have OS and a number of applications.

Back