Small/ Smallest Box to drive 30" 2560 x 1600 LCD via Dual link DVI-D / DisplayPort?

crashnburn

Weaksauce
Small/ Smallest Box to drive 30" 2560 x 1600 LCD via Dual link DVI-D / DisplayPort?

UPDATED REQUIREMENTS:

Cistron said:
crashnburn said:
Is there something out there which can do both:
2560 x 1600p over -
- Dual link DVI-D
AND
- DisplayPort | MDP | Thunderbolt (backward compat with DP)

Preferably Mini-ITX or grow it to Micro-ATX

The older MacMini A1283 had a MDP and mini-DVI. The newer ones have HDMI and thunderbold.

I don't know about the PC world. But it might be easier just to go for a mITX mainboard you fancy and get a low-end graphics card with two ports.

Since this is such an uncommon combination, now I am thinking in that direction. So let's say I update this as following, what would you suggest:

mITX board (Low priced if possible, but reliable)
- USB 3.0 | eSATA
- GigE RJ-45

Video / Graphics Card (Low low price since I am not gaming at all)
- Supports: 2560 x 1600
- Dual Link DVI-D
- DP | Mini DP
- Small / Compact / Low Profile
- Low Power | Low heat

Bonus if it can drive both together or multiple of the above ports

Bonus if MoBo has Thunderbolt (This might make it more expensive so this is not REQUIRED, but NICE TO HAVE).

ORIGINAL REQUIREMENTS:
a - VIDEO:
- Barebones Box/ Ready Box / Motherboard/ Case:
I'd like find the smallest box/ machine / Barebones or HTPC Media Streamer Box that has
the Video Hardware to support & Drive 30" 2560 x 1600 LCD at Native Resolution
- On board or added Video Card:
Integrated or Dedicated GPU to support this resolution (Intel, AMD or NVidia - No preferences here, any of them will do)

b - PORTS:
- Dual link DVI-D
AND / OR
- DisplayPort

ADDITIONAL BONUS:
- eSATA/ USB 3.0
- LAN/ Gigabit LAN
- WiFi (Optional)

Last edited:
Can't anything run that res these days? As for smallest, it can go as small as you'd like, as small as the NUC. Or a case with a dc psu, itx and no expansion slots, like an ISK-100.

I think it was around the time of the Nvidia 78xx series and the ATi 1Xxx series that they started producing all cards with dual link DVI output. So any modern video card made in the last 7 years or so will be able to output 2560x1600.

Not sure on the AMD side, but on the Intel side onboard video can drive 2560x1600 through a DisplayPort output. Strangely, I've heard that onboard DVI cannot.

Not sure on the AMD side, but on the Intel side onboard video can drive 2560x1600 through a DisplayPort output. Strangely, I've heard that onboard DVI cannot.

Most modern Video Cards / GPUs could and should drive 2560x1600.

The display port DP would work most likely, but the DVI onboard may not support that.

The issue is that the DVI connection mostly may or may not have full Dual Link DVI-D connection.

In that case one might have to get an Active Converter - DP to Dual Link DVI-D - And as you add more adapters/ converters, points of failure increase.

Look through both these threads as well -
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1684958
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1680576

Cant seem to find any Mini iTX with BOTH built in Dual Link DVI and DP.

Are there?

If not..
- Should I account for a Videocard that will support both?
- Should I increase the search size to Micro ATX?

Is NewEgg the best place to search for different MoBo with parameters or is there some Comparison/ Tabular Search and Filter engine where I can filter through various Mobos?

Did you mean? IGP Cards driving 2560x1600 over DVI?

I probably should have specified that I was talking about IGP, not discrete cards.

AFAIK you won't, on the Intel side.

Then which side?

Did you mean? IGP Cards driving 2560x1600 over DVI?

Then which side?

I mean that AFAIK socket 1155 can't drive 2560x1600 over DVI, but can over DisplayPort. I am not familiar with socket AM2 to comment.

I mean that AFAIK socket 1155 can't drive 2560x1600 over DVI, but can over DisplayPort. I am not familiar with socket AM2 to comment.

It can if the mobo/IGP display adapter is DVI-D (which most aren't)

[edit2]I may be wrong again on the max thunderbolt/displayport resolution... i'm going to quit updating this until I get a good solid link, lol[/edit2]

it appears that 2560x1600 may be possible on the NUC DC3217BY if your signal is under the 8.64Gb/s max of Displayport 1.1a

Last edited:
Cistron said:
crashnburn said:
Is there something out there which can do both:
2560 x 1600p over -
- Dual link DVI-D
AND
- DisplayPort | MDP | Thunderbolt (backward compat with DP)

Preferably Mini-ITX or grow it to Micro-ATX
The older MacMini A1283 had a MDP and mini-DVI. The newer ones have HDMI and thunderbold.

I don't know about the PC world. But it might be easier just to go for a mITX mainboard you fancy and get a low-end graphics card with two ports.

Since this is such an uncommon combination, now I am thinking in that direction. So let's say I update this as following, what would you suggest:

mITX board (Low priced if possible, but reliable)
- USB 3.0 | eSATA
- GigE RJ-45

Video / Graphics Card (Low low price since I am not gaming at all)
- Supports: 2560 x 1600
- Dual Link DVI-D
- DP | Mini DP
- Small / Compact / Low Profile
- Low Power | Low heat

Bonus if it can drive both together or multiple of the above ports

Bonus if MoBo has Thunderbolt (This might make it more expensive so this is not REQUIRED, but NICE TO HAVE).

The only MoBo people found and suggested was Zotac Z 68 D E. Since its a tough combination to find I might just have to go with mITX + GPU.

That is a bit too large - Isnt it? I was looking more into these types -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cription=6450&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Examples:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127584

Any of these OEM brands better than another for a Hackintosh?
- In terms of driver/ kext/ vanilla Max OSX compatibility?
- In terms of overall hardware reliability? Power / Heat?

Sorry that it took me so long to figure this out, but Displayport 1.1a will in fact support 2560x1600@60Hz, so the DC3217BY NUC (and any future boxes) will meet that base need, the newer versions supposedly coming with USB3 support :)

So, given that 2015 is upon us, I am wondering if there are some options that will cater to the said requirement?

PS: Bonus if it can do 4K, but for now this is enough.

Get a NUC.
Every one (except the D33217GKE) has at least one DP output and can drive 2560x1600. Al but the oldest ones (.e. any with DP 1.2 or above) will be able to drive UHD at 60Hz, the older ones (DP 1.1a) will do UHD at 30Hz.

Get a NUC.
Every one (except the D33217GKE) has at least one DP output and can drive 2560x1600. Al but the oldest ones (.e. any with DP 1.2 or above) will be able to drive UHD at 60Hz, the older ones (DP 1.1a) will do UHD at 30Hz.

I need Dual Link DVI as well.. :) Thoughts?

Back