Small, light-weight antivirus?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I need a small and light-weight powerful anti-virus program for some older boxes I have, the idea with the boxes is to keep system resources free.

I would like something that will be very stream-lined, no bulk, something where I can schedule scans, and, something that scans files as they are read/writen.

Something like norton but something that does not need a bazzilion amounts of resources and processes.

The boxes are going to be running win2k, both are 200mhzish.

how will you run win2k with 200MHz boxen?

i would suggest AVGFreeEdition but it doesn't scan as files are read/written

for something like that, how will those boxen even be able to handle it?

AntiVir uses the least system recourses out of the most popular anti-virus applications. It also has a way better detection rate then AVG. AVG is very poor at detecting trojans in particular.

KoolDrew said:
AntiVir uses the least system recourses out of the most popular anti-virus applications. It also has a way better detection rate then AVG. AVG is very poor at detecting trojans in particular.
i've heard this claim bantered about before, and i'd like to seem some evidence behind it. Not because i doubt you, personally, but because i always thought the conventional wisdom was that AVG was A+ at detecting.

These boxes will run win2k just fine, 1 will have a controller card and a pair of larger drives, this box will mainly be attatched network storage, streaming files via wifi is slow and unreliable. There will be no one using this box, no im, email, web browsing, nothing but holding the drives.

The other box will become an ICS box I am thinking, so, it will have a firewall and such on it, I am in the process of getting an overdrive chip for this box, it will jump it up to 333mhz, and as it sits has like 164 megs or seomthing like that in it.

Both boxes will also be running a vnc client to reduce wires and clutter. Both units are old compaq units, dektop models that will stack up very nice with my dbu and switch. I just wish they where not so wide so they would fit in the rafters in the basement.

I got the boxes for free, my budget for the project was next to nothing and so far it has taken some time to get the os installed, about 1hr per box.

I will check out the antivir. I am not too concerned about trojans, I will not be doing any file sharing apps on either box, and my drives will not have write privlidges enabled.

Here is one test.
http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=69&mnu=69

I have seen a few others where AVG does very poor. AntiVir has a better detection rate and uses less system resources. Boot time is also faster with AntiVir.

The only reason I can see someone prfering AVG over AntiVir is if they prefer AVGs UI, they need e-mail scanning, or they find the updating annoying as hell.

NOD32

IMO the best heuristics scanner out there, very light weight and powerful
best employed w\ a dedicated Trojan Scanner I use TDS-3
(which I also consider the best Torjan Scanner out there)

I also Highly recommend using ProcessGuard

for an all in one scanner equally adept at viruses,worms and trojans
Id agree w\ Kaspersky

one of the better freeware versions

but get this too
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/
(freeware version) its a firewall for the kernal

install it, reboot, rightclick on the taskbar icon (or desktop icon) > Main Tab uncheck learning mode > security tab remove all > protection tab remove all > close reboot and start approving processes your sure of

here are the defaults http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263201
add in your browser and research the rest as they are requested
(you make a rule for each process, if you dont check the box your either allowing or denying that process only once.

Like I said the box is just going to house the drives, but, I like that process guard thingy, I may try that on my ics box.

I have all the stuff that Ice Czar uses, more or less. Anyway, take time to note the changes in policy that you make. Believe it or not, you can lock down a computer so tight that it can take three days to install a PCI card, assuming the admin doesn't remember that he did some of the stuff that he did. Then, you may come to your senses, and find the need to hack your own machine. It makes for good practice, but I still don't recommend it. If I don't remember what I did next time, I'm screwed because I locked it down even more this time around. :D

Back