• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

small lcds question

fajorry

n00b
Joined
Aug 4, 2005
Messages
32
Hey!

I've got a sweet idea (i hope), but after alot of searching I cannot seem to find any good solutions.

Here's the story... My girlfriend is allergic to lots of stuff and it's always a hassle to explain to people of different cultures what she cannot eat.

My idea is a nice small lcddisplay, maybe 2-5" something, where u can upload pics or something so that you only need to show this to the person taking the order. It would say in their language and hopefully with pics, what she cannot eat. Smart huh? Only problem is I cannot find any suitable lcds or similar, any ideas?

If my idea with lcd is dumb and u got a better, I am open to suggestions, please dont say paper though, cuz we all know that aint cool enough =)

Also if anyone speaks chinese, thai, japanese or anything remotely similar is willing to help me translate a couple of foodwords (like 5 or 6) please let me know!

Thanks!
 
haha. she aint allergic to that, or atleast I dont think she will ever want to eat it :(
 
You're not going to get a legible reproduction on most 2" displays, clear enough to avoid confusion. Also, if you're planning this as an actual product for resale, you'd need a large database of both food item images and equivalents in all major languages.

Have you though about simply printing the pictures (and language translations) in a small notebook or pad? Or using a voice recorder to hold the translated text, but forgoing the picture entirely?
 
Pen & paper. No need to use high-precision laser cutting where safety scissors will do.

If you insist on doing something digital, use a portable DVD player and burn a DVD with applicable pictures/languages on it
 
I'm not planning this as a product, I just wanna help my girlfriend out. I was thinking camera displays have nice lcds that whould be enough? I mean it's only 6 words or so.

Ofcourse I could print it, but as I said, you have to agree that it wouldn't be as sweet as having some gadget do it =)
 
Even if you do find a display the size you want the problem is driving it, in other words what are you going ot use to send the pic to the screen. you will need something in the line of a small computer, I really dont know what, I think it would be easier to gt maybe a cheap PDA with color display, it will be small enough to carry in a pocket or purse and have the resolution needed to show the graphis in a size thats readable, it will possibly be able to run translation software so that she can comunicate even better than just showing pics of what she cant eat so that it is clearer and less confusing.
 
Back
Top