Small install, novice friendly OS needed.

goldenfrog

Weaksauce
I’m looking to build a mini-ITX based system. All the system needs to do is play MP3’s from my media server over a wireless network. I’m looking for one with a small enough install that I can run it from a USB flash drive. I want something easy to setup, as I have never really tried anything but Windows. Something I can buy complete on a cd/dvd or EASILY download and create an install cd with.

Yeah, if you have a supported WiFi card in the miniITX PC, Ubuntu should work. It might be easier to set up using bootable flash media with Mandriva 2007 or Knoppix instead.

I'm thinking UBS flash so that I can easily remove it and upgrade the OS if I need to. I dont have any of the parts for this rig yet. I hope to buy known working parts for the OS I end up using.

Anyone know of software/sensor probe that can monitor humidity? I want to be able to display temp and humidity levels on the desktop.

What I want for the temp/humidity sensor is something I can connect to the system and be able to check from another comp on the network.

Now that gets a lot more expensive. A "weather station" type data collection device that interfaces to a computer will cost a couple hundred dollars.

You can build the sensors yourself and interface it through a serial port, which you will then also need to write/get software and calibrate it. http://www.tutorials-blog.com/automation/Humidistat-with/ Depending on what your time is worth, this might even be the more expensive option. ;)

Back