Small form factor budget speakers

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by harmattan, Jun 9, 2017.

1. harmattan

harmattan 2[H]4U

I just picked up a new monitor (LG UD68) as I wanted to switch back to 4k from 1440p. It dawned on me only after purchasing that this display doesn't have integrated speakers like my current monitor (Asus MG279G)...

I really only use speakers for listening to videos or if my wife and I are listening to filler music while working (I have a headphone/amp setup for gaming). I do have a set of Swann M200 Mark III, but these are far too big to fit on my desk (only around 6 inches of space on either side of monitor) and probably overkill. Any suggestions for "slimmer" 2.0 PC speakers? I'd rather not go 2.1 as I like to keep the floor clear of stuff.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. DoubleTap

DoubleTap [H]ard|Gawd

You should state your budget. Small speakers, no sub? If you just want background music, why not get an amazon echo or google speaker or something?

3. pippenainteasy

pippenainteasy Limp Gawd

A list of spreakers in the 300-400in3 range (half or less than half the size of your Swan M200). Depending on your budget tier:

Creative T20: $90
    Creative T40: $150
    B&W MM-1: $350
    Genelec 6010/8010: $700
    Dynaudio Xeo2: $999
    Dynaudio Contour SR: $2000 (needs an amp)

4. harmattan

harmattan 2[H]4U

Budget's around $100, although I'm not opposed going used to get the price down further. Seems like alot of ppl like go trade/upgrade their speakers (like I used to prior to family/house obligations.)

We already have a Google Home and the sound quality is awful even for filler music.

5. jevans64

jevans64 Limp Gawd

Take a look at the Micca PB42X. They are $120 on Amazon. They are amplified so no external amp required. 15 watts each.

6. Krispy Kritter

Krispy Kritter Limp Gawd

Soundbar? I was browsing a bit, but I don't see a Samsung "UD68". All references I find to a UD68 are for an LG monitor.

7. harmattan

harmattan 2[H]4U

You're absolutely right: it's an LG UD68 I have incoming.

I was looking at the JBL Duet IIIs.... slim and get decent reviews

8. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

For under 100 bucks you can't expect to have a good sound unfortunately. The Duets sound otherwise passable but have no bass.

If I were you I would find some 100 bucks more and buy a preowned pair of LSR 305:s. I recently bought a preowned pair with stands for 200 euros and they're amazing for the size and especially price. They easily compete with my much larger Behringer B2031A:s at moderate listening levels (anything you can get away in a normal appartment).

9. beyonddc

beyonddc Limp Gawd

10. King of Heroes

King of Heroes [H]ard|Gawd

I'd recommend this combo:

Micca MB42X - $89.99 (You can watch Zeos' Youtube review for these if you need convincing)
    Lepy LP-2020A - $27.81

Total: $117.80

Its a touch over your budget, but it should sound good.

You can save a bit of money on the speakers by going with these:

Dayton Audio B652-AIR - $59.80

But, speaking from personal experience, I wouldn't recommend them for desktop listening. The bass on those is too overpowering.

trentchau likes this.
  11. trentchau

trentchau [H]ard|Gawd

Can vouch. While i only got my lepy a few weeks ago it seems to be ok. Though I rather wait a few months to a year to make a final judgement as I see a few reviews talk that it doesn't have major longevity (though at the price if you get 6 months out of it that's more than enough).

I ended up getting a pair of panasonic bookshelfs from the local thrift store for $10 and it sounds great.

[​IMG]

Installed in the guest bedroom. Super easy to use.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  12. StoleMyOwnCar

StoleMyOwnCar [H]ard|Gawd

Emphasis on small, huh?

Okay, two things I'd suggest:
    1. https://www.parts-express.com/lepai...io-mini-amplifier-with-power-supply--310-3000

I have a 2020Ti and it's a pretty neutral, clean amp. Drives things very well.

2. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...inimus.TRS0&_nkw=realistic+minimus+7&_sacat=0

Take your pick out of these Realistic Minimus speakers. They're tiny and they're built like tanks, and they sound good. All together it will run you only 45-60-ish dollars.

If you have a bit more space, try the Acoustic Design PS55
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...s+55.TRS1&_nkw=acoustic+design+ps+55&_sacat=0

Similar price but they sound really amazing. They were little gems to find at goodwill.

13. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

I once talked to the owner of OR speakers. Among hi-fi speakers they produce OEM speakers for brands like Kenwood, Panasonic, Sony etc.

He said that an average material cost for an OEM speaker like pictured above is less than 5 dollars a pair. Their quality is in no way comparable to a real hi-fi product.

14. trentchau

trentchau [H]ard|Gawd

I would believe it. Not pushing it as all as anything that would replace speakers that are $80 to $800. But for a guest room playing some ambient sound, enigma, enya, or whatever nice and easy for the guest room it's pretty nice.

15. DoubleTap

DoubleTap [H]ard|Gawd

16. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

The sound bar option? Some are like a base that you could set the monitor on top of.

17. TechLarry

TechLarry Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Normally $150, goes on sale often at Best Buy for $99.

Walmart has a vendor listing showing them available for $117.

Now, this is what I find interesting on this page...

klipsch promedia 2.1/4.1 satellite speaker (discontinued by manufacturer)

I hope that's wrong. If not, that's a GD shame. That would be an end to a glorious near 2-decade run for a product that has always been known for giving you more for your money than any other.

UPDATE: Ok, looks like they are just replaced with a newer model that has BlueTooth:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

I could use a set of those :)