• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Small dent in speaker cone

aaaaaaaaaaandy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
128
So someone pushed in the center of my speaker. I dont have an actual picture on me of it because im at work right now. I have the Swans D1080MKII and its on the larger woofer. its not pushed in that much, so it HAS to be fixable. I've heard of using a vaccuum on it, but does that actually work? Here is a picture of a different speaker with the same problem, but a lot larger. Just for reference.

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/1924/dscn12570zj.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
 
Suction usually does work. I recommend trying a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels, and just sucking with your mouth first. Vacuum should be okay as long as you're careful with it. Another solution you can try is tape. Just stick it to the dent and pull, should release without damaging anything unless you use some freakish super-tape.
 
I hope this was one of your kids because otherwise.... somebody deserves to have their head pushed in. lol
 
It was from a party. I wasn't too happy about it, but sh*t happens when you have people over. :-/
 
An old school trick is to use a straw and suck it out. You could also use an automotive vacuum brake bleeder if you have access to one. The center is just a dust cover for the voice coil though.
 
I believe that is just a dust cap that has a dent in it so will not affect audio quality. I saw the same thing on a pair of Paradigm speakers in the demo room at a stereo store one day and the sales person said that is a dust cap and not part of the speaker itself.
 
Yeah, I know it won't affect the quality at all, but it's still just an annoying little thing since I like to have the grills off a lot of the time.
 
Actually remote, it can affect the sound quality. the dust cap is still part of the radiator, it moves as the rest of the cone moves, so it produces sound. Now the question is how much does it affect the sound. On a subwoofer driver, I imagine the answer is very little. The sound waves coming out of that are 10-60 feet long (really) and thus a small change in shape of the radiator isn't really likely to mess with the sound much.

But change to the shape, even if it is the dust cap, and change the way a speaker sounds, especially off axis.
 
Back
Top