• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

"Small" case for 3xGTX580

Fmstrat

n00b
Joined
May 3, 2011
Messages
19
Hi all,

Anyone have any suggestions for the smallest case that can fit 3 GTX580s and cool them properly?

Would an ANTEC 900 work well if there is a shelf a little less than 1 inch above the top? I've got about 20.5" of vertical space to work with. And for that matter, would the power button be accessible, appears as if it's on the top.

Thanks,
B.
 
What about length? Is this machine going to be enclosed from all sides with little or no room to exhaust air in the rear before it hits a wall? Because that's going to be a recipe for disaster when combined with a top barrier, given that warm air rises.
 
What about length? Is this machine going to be enclosed from all sides with little or no room to exhaust air in the rear before it hits a wall? Because that's going to be a recipe for disaster when combined with a top barrier, given that warm air rises.

Thanks for the reply! There will be plenty of room for around the case. If you look at the attached picture (this is the desk pre-tinted glass top), it will be sitting on that bottom shelf. There is plenty of room to the sides, and the shelves don't go all the way back (1 foot of open space behind), meaning air rises and comes back out the front above the top shelf. I've actually considered putting fans blowing out on the top shelf to encourage the air flow, but haven't needed to as it flows pretty well.

I custom built the desk to do this, but unfortunately didn't plan for a larger case until recently. The shelves are adjustable, so I have a little play, but want to be able to keep my router/switch/etc on that top shelf.

CustomDesk.jpg


Thanks,
B.
 
Do you have any way for the heat to escape that enclosed area? if not, have you thought about adding a couple 120mm or larger exhaust fans to the back of the desk?
 
A Corsair Obsidian 650D looks like it might fit.
These are the dimensions; W - 230mm (9"0), H - 525mm (20 1/4"), D - 555mm (21 3/3"). Add about 4 inches to the depth for the cables in the back.
 
Do you have any way for the heat to escape that enclosed area? if not, have you thought about adding a couple 120mm or larger exhaust fans to the back of the desk?

Yes, I do. I mention above using fans to pull the air back out the front because the shelves don't go all the way to the back. However, I haven't needed to because the shape of the desk naturally causes the air to flow that way, do to the pressure buildup from the case facing forwards and blowing hot air into the back (look at the bottom shelf, and you'll see what I mean).
 
Last edited:
A Corsair Obsidian 650D looks like it might fit.
These are the dimensions; W - 230mm (9"0), H - 525mm (20 1/4"), D - 555mm (21 3/3"). Add about 4 inches to the depth for the cables in the back.

I really like this, front power button, seems to be the right size, but WOW look at that price tag. That's nearly 100% more than the Antec 900. It also has the top fan, which I worry will be restricted by the shelf above it. I've been looking around for something with a 200mm side fan, too.
 
Crap. As I look at many of these, they only have 7 slots in the back. I don't see how this would be enough for me, since I believe I would need 8 to fit 3 GTX580s in.

*edit*
Looks like the Antec 902 may work out. It's got 8 PCI slots areas, plenty of fans, and only 19.4" tall. The bottom two cards are going to be crowded, as unlike my top and middle PCIx slots which have a standard PCI between them, the bottom two are next to each other, and it looks like in the 902 the bottom card will be right against the power supply. Luckily the supply has a nice large fan pulling heat away, and the 902 has TONS of fans in it. Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Is watercooling an option? You could run the tubes to an external rad and just have that lying around somewhere back there.

Also are those "3DVision Ready" logos I spy on the monitors? What's your poison friend, 3DVS or 120hz 2D Surround? I'm about to attempt this myself, albeit with less horsepower (two-card 580 SLI).
 
Lian Li K62 is the best case for it's size to hold three cards.
You can add another fan in the 5.25 bays.

Currently on sale for $79.99 shipped.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112239&Tpk=k62

I would also consider the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced and 922/912.

Personally I would go with the Silversotne RV02 which has the best cooling and 8 PCI slots.
http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-R...8KZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309738064&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-S...OGSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309738088&sr=8-2
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is watercooling an option? You could run the tubes to an external rad and just have that lying around somewhere back there.

Also are those "3DVision Ready" logos I spy on the monitors? What's your poison friend, 3DVS or 120hz 2D Surround? I'm about to attempt this myself, albeit with less horsepower (two-card 580 SLI).

Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to start with water cooling. Either way, I would need a new case, and two recommended below would fit the bill if I ever went that route.

As for 3D vision, no, these are just 60Hz displays in 2D surround. I considered 3D Vision, but wouldn't be able to stand wearing the heavy glasses that long.

Lian Li K62 is the best case for it's size to hold three cards.
You can add another fan in the 5.25 bays.

Currently on sale for $79.99 shipped.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112239&Tpk=k62

I would also consider the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced and 922/912.

Personally I would go with the Silversotne RV02 which has the best cooling and 8 PCI slots.
http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-R...8KZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309738064&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-S...OGSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309738088&sr=8-2

You. Are. Awesome. The Lian Li is near perfect minus no 3.5 external and top mounted power button (but it's at an angle so I could probably jab my finger in there). I can also find a 5.25 kit for my multi-card reader, too. And man, what a price.

The 690 II Advanced is also great, but it seems like the Lian Li would have slightly better cooling with the dual top fans and no side fan. As I think about the structure of my desk, side fans may accidentally pull in hot air, while front fans would constantly get cool.

Too bad that price cut is only until the 6th. Not sure I'll be ready to make my decision by then.

Thanks,
B.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
as mention above,

if you want to wait it out for another shell shocker, lancools do go on shocker deals a lot (not sure if it is the same case or what not) also you may find it on here one day on the FS section, never know
 
Heavy glasses? Those things are as light as my eyeglasses! Though I use them for 120hz gaming 90% of the time, not 3D.

But anyway, yeah, if need room for 8 PCI slots you'll need to narrow down your case selection. The 800D has a grill in the place of where an 8th slot would be so it could work, though obviously no good if it the video card has output ports that you need to access in its bottom slot.
 
I totally responded to the wrong thread with this message....
 
Last edited:
Back
Top