Small Business Server 2003. Easy to setup?

Originally Posted by metallicafan; What is Virtual Server, and what does it do? Does it let you "run" the 2K3 trial version on top of XP or something? Where can I download this? Thanks.
Originally posted by Blitzrommel: I think he's referring to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsser...re/default.mspx

OK, so its a version (next server series - 05 instead of 03?) that is esentially a live-cd for evaluation?
 
SBS2003 is awesome, especially for the money. I just installed SBS2003 this spring at a client's organization and I have to say I am extremely pleased and impressed. Perfect for the small application we are using it for (10 users and 9 hosts). The domain was an amazing improvement to just using a file server like they were previously using, and the built-in Exchange server is just awesome. I would recommend SBS2003 to anyone with a small business. Very easy to install and set up, our server has been rock solid stable also. The features are amazing, it gives you most of the amenities of a large organization. I had to upgrade a few XP Home computers to XP Pro and it was WELL worth it. If your going to get a SBS2003 server it's just not worth it to still have stand alone computers lying around in my opinion.

I've been wondering about this, if you install the server with 2 NICs as a firewall the hosts have to authenticate with the domain to be able to access the internet? I have a Cisco firewall installed already so I just used a 1 NIC configuration and forwarded ports 25 and 443 to the server internally. I've noticed that with this configuration you don't have to authenticate with the domain to use the internet, even with XP Home, but you can't join the domain obviously.
 
richcom23 said:
I've been wondering about this, if you install the server with 2 NICs as a firewall the hosts have to authenticate with the domain to be able to access the internet? I have a Cisco firewall installed already so I just used a 1 NIC configuration and forwarded ports 25 and 443 to the server internally. I've noticed that with this configuration you don't have to authenticate with the domain to use the internet, even with XP Home, but you can't join the domain obviously.

Technically you do not need to authenticate with a 2 nic setup. The ISA default rules are to allow access to the internet to "internet access" users which requires authentication.

You could simply change the rule to allow internet access to all authenticated and unauthenticated users in a 2 nic setup.

The second portion of your observation has to do with the way ISA handles traffic in 1 vs 2 nic configuration. In a single NIC configuration ISA simply acts as a "caching" server and nothing more. A 2 NIC setup ISA does stateful inspection as well as caching.

HTH
 
Hello all, since I posted my initial query, things have gone slightly "tits up".

I got to his office, looked at the server and decided that it was quite a bit above my head, so I left it as it was (which was the initial setup wizard).

My friend has now arranged for someone with more server knowledge than myself to set up his network.

Unfortunately, my friend has set up a password and he can't remember the password. I don't know if this is an admin password, a user password or a guest pasword.

The server isn't connected to a network, it doesn't have any software installed on it other than SBS 2003.

Would it be easier to format the drive and reinstall SBS 2003 rather than try to find the password?

I've found various tools which claim to recover passwords, but they all seem to require access to the server using a guest or user account, which hasn't been setup yet!
 
bigdavethehorn said:
Hello all, since I posted my initial query, things have gone slightly "tits up".

I got to his office, looked at the server and decided that it was quite a bit above my head, so I left it as it was (which was the initial setup wizard).

My friend has now arranged for someone with more server knowledge than myself to set up his network.

Unfortunately, my friend has set up a password and he can't remember the password. I don't know if this is an admin password, a user password or a guest pasword.

The server isn't connected to a network, it doesn't have any software installed on it other than SBS 2003.

Would it be easier to format the drive and reinstall SBS 2003 rather than try to find the password?

I've found various tools which claim to recover passwords, but they all seem to require access to the server using a guest or user account, which hasn't been setup yet!

They make some good tools to do it but most are a few hundred bucks. If you haven't done anything yet then reinstall.
 
Back
Top