Small Business Server 2003 DNS error 32

w00ten

n00b
Hi All,

I have an SBS server that is unable to have computers added to the domain because every time the DNS goes to look up _msdcs.<ourdomain>.com it encounters Error 32 which it says is caused by high load. Seeing as we can't get anything onto the domain, I doubt there is high load, and task manager shows low usage on CPU and memory. There was a microsoft KB article about this problem and my boss took 4 hours to follow all the steps and it didn't work. Unfortunately I don't have the KB link. Has anyone run into this problem before? I can provide pretty much any information needed to help.

Thanks in advance

Assuming the usuals are in place....
*Server uses itself as its one and only DNS server in TCP properties?
*DNS forwarding is setup, so either your ISPs DNS servers..or better yet..OpenDNS DNS servers
*Nothing else is running DHCP on your network...the SBS box is running DHCP..and its handing out its own IP as the DNS server for your clients..so that your workstations are using the IP of your SBS box as their one and only DNS server
*Is this SBS box multi-homed? Or single homed?

Everything is in order(which is why I came here), just like you said. the box is single homed at the moment because we thought this might be an issue but alas we are still in the same boat.

I think ill give the BPA a shot, I unfortunately won't have time for a day or 2 as I am now heading to a customer site for the next few days. I will reply when I have something, thanks for that link to the BPA, I hadn't stumbled across it until now.

I think ill give the BPA a shot, I unfortunately won't have time for a day or 2 as I am now heading to a customer site for the next few days. I will reply when I have something, thanks for that link to the BPA, I hadn't stumbled across it until now.

It's a great "checklist", I run it on all my clients SBS boxes. It does update occasionally, so run it a couple of times a year, update it each time. It does check some settings in DNS as well as some advanced TCP settings...and walks you through how to correct them. May help....only takes a few minutes to try anyways.

Back