Small Business Router/Premade PFSense

Other then IPSec VPN do you have any other requirements? Normally I would recommend a pfSense or Untangle box for a whitebox solutions or a Sonicwall TZ210 for a supported solution, but depending on your needs / budget there may be better options.

Personally I have had lots of issues with the cisco RV series and have decided to just not use them anymore.

As far as that link you posted we had a client that that had a similar product from netgate running m0n0wall and it worked pretty well. We ended up replacing it because they wanted an appliance that also had the ability to do content filtering and gateway AV, however if they didn't need those features we would have left the appliance alone. I can't speak to that specific appliance, but any Alix based system running a BSD based firewall distro should do it well. Once you start adding packages is where you get in trouble though.

[RIP]Zeus;1036942150 said:
Free for home use.

www.astaro.com

lol, somebody didn't read the OP or title i guess...

but if i may ask marley1, why does it have to be premade?

EDIT: maybe i misunderstood, cuz astaro does sell nice boxes too

Last edited:
if i was going with astaro i would go with untangle instead, but i dont have it in the budget for something like that.

premade just for ease, and easier for support.

i liked the rv042, the RV220W looks good as well. just need something reliable that can do basic SMB tasks. If the client needed a UTM i reach out to Untangle Appliances

So need something in the $150 to $250 range for a NAT Router/Firewall, with wireless would be nice, small office setup under 20 computers, maybe remote side for IPSEC

I would go with a none whitebox

Draytek 2820
Cisco 5505
or
Cisco 5510

depending on the size of the project.

Cool, where do you guys get your ASA 5505s for between the OP's budget of $150 to $250?

Atleast one can read. The rv was a solid router for me surprised there isn't a newer version

Stupid thought don't think a $550 cisco is needed when previously a $175 linksys did this great.

I know when to spend the money in this case there should be a solution. When I need a bigger solution I go with untangle.

Anyone use the rv120 or rv220?

http://www.mikrotik.com/index.html

Although not a premade solution, you could get a routerboard, psu, wifi card, indoor enclosure, and software license within your specified budget. From what I understand, Mikrotik is decent router software and the hardware is feature rich. A lot of WISPs use their gear with success. It's been a few years since I last used it but it was pretty nice.

what is the best offering from say linksys/d-link/netgear for this?

Cool, where do you guys get your ASA 5505s for between the OP's budget of $150 to $250?

I got my ASA 5505 for free from an old coworker :D

They had labeled it as having "bad memory" when only the flash had been corrupted and needed to be formated

If you want a good solution, shell out the extra cash and get an asa 5505. Great little boxes.

Back