Small, basic, low profle ATX case?

nicholasfarmer

Limp Gawd
I've searched and searched and figured I would post asking for some help.

Im looking for the most basic ATX case. Just some sheet metal that can hold my ATX motherboard, power supply, low profile video card, and maybe a cutout for a fan.

No drive slots, (maybe a place to screw a 2.5 SSD to the side) no 3.5 HD, or CD/DVD slots. No front panel items minus a single power button.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Im close to walking into my local sheet metal company and having them cut out a basic template for me.

edit:
The case must be ATX because of existing hardware.
I run an "almost" passive i7 HTPC and I have a small footprint I would like to cram the PC into.
Heatsink%203500%20108-640.jpg

This photo of the "heatsink 3500" from Atech shows the exact setup im looking for. PSU with Fan up to the left and the rest of the case to match the motherboard spread. If i can get Atech to drop the height of the case an inch to make it closer to low profile it would be a 100% match.

If all of my options are $300 or more, I'm starting to move toward an HDMI extender, run fiber to the garage, and just place all of the hardware in my server rack.

Last edited:
Silverstone LC04 meets most of your specs. It does have drive cages but there is a cover on the front that flips down so it stays hidden. Also a Silverstone LC02 is close but it has a cutout for your optical drive.

I've found this case:

http://atechfabrication.com/products/Heatsink_3500.htm

which could work because you can request the front panel to not have the options cut. The problem is the $400+ price tag.

The related case :
http://atechfabrication.com/products/HeatSync_7000.htm

Is awesome but again it has a lot of extra parts to rack up the cost.

I know forum members are a lot less likely to do research on someone else's project but I was hoping someone else had the same idea or project.

I was tempted to test the Silverstone, because my local Frys had one on the shelf, but I don't like using the built in power supply.

I guess my issue is I want something that is too basic and basic does not sell in the current PC market. Time to hit the wood shop or take apart an old lunch box and drill some holes in it. I miss living in San Diego where I could pay a local Plastic company to cast something for me.

I own a Silverstone LC04, if you have any questions about it.

I really like those Atech cases, remind me of my Ahanix Dvine D5

ahanixdvine5silver.jpg

is there a reason why you want an ATX motherboard? There are plenty of options for mitx or matx boards that fit your requirements (mostly mitx).

is there a reason why you want an ATX motherboard? There are plenty of options for mitx or matx boards that fit your requirements (mostly mitx).

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If size is the issue dropping down to mATX or ITX would allow one to get a lot smaller.

Jacobsparts has a basic case, front verticle power supply. There are 3 5 1/4 bays, one intended for a 3 1/2 floppy or card reader, one flange bracket for a 3 1/2 HDD.
You could drill out the rivets and remove the cage assembly.
Comes with a worthless 80mm fan, mounts 92mm rear, 80mm bottom, 120mm side. raemoving drive bays would allow 140mm fan mount (120 anyway) in their place.
Caught one on sale for $20, would not suggest spending more.
It's a great contradiction, somethings right, some bad, good start for a "if it fails who cares build..
Either that or gut an older case.

( I added the reason for an ATX setup to the top post)
The basic requirements are because of space restrictions within my HTPC setup and using my existing hardware. I've priced a mini-itx system and hardware alone is $300+.

If all of my options are $300 or more, I'm starting to move toward an HDMI extender, run fiber to the garage, and just place all of the hardware in my server rack.

If you just need a basic case then why don't you just, you know, pick one? It doesn't sound like you need anything specifically "HTPC-like" so why not just pick a basic case like one of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204034
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204037

Maybe it's just me but I don't see any reason you should be spending anything over $60 for a case that meets most of your needs unless you're going to be super anal about the "no drive openings of any kind" "requirement." You say you just need something to hold the hardware, be ATX and be lower profile then your standard ATX case. Why are you over thinking this?

OP if Crim's links or ideas don't pan out for you then give amazon a shot also. They sometimes carry the more rare and unusual stuff at decent prices. You can try ebay as well.

Too bad you totally missed out on the $30-$35 rebranded silverstone case, it was able to hold ATX mobo's believe it or not. The LCO2 and LCO4 mentioned earlier would probably meet your needs. You may want to rethink some of your restrictions because Silverstone cases are known to have good bundled powersupplies and this opens up more options for you.

Good luck either way.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
SJetski71! You found it! This is 100% what I've searched for. To answer previous posts, it is for an HTPC setup and the small case SJetski71 found is the exact size I needed. Consider this post solved, I plan to purchase one of these cases. I could do without the flowers but it's nothing a little tape and rattle can can't fix.

Thanks everyone!

SJetski71! You found it! This is 100% what I've searched for. To answer previous posts, it is for an HTPC setup and the small case SJetski71 found is the exact size I needed. Consider this post solved, I plan to purchase one of these cases. I could do without the flowers but it's nothing a little tape and rattle can can't fix.

Thanks everyone!
NP

Hehe, i thought it was a shot in the dark but i'm glad it'll work. I did a quick search on ebay for "slim atx case" and those just popped up.

Back