SM951 NVMe driver

Osirus

Limp Gawd
I setup an Intel Broadwell i3 NUC with a Samsung SM951 NVMe SSD. The NVMe controller is just listed in Windows 10 Device Manager as a Standard NVM Express Controller. There is no driver that I can find on Intel's download page for the NUC for a NVMe driver, nor can I find one for Samsung.

Is there a specific driver from Intel or Samsung for this, or is there just the standard driver that comes with Windows 10?

I had to load the driver for my SSD 750. I got it from Intel's download page.

An interesting post that i found here:

Essentially the 951 NVMe is not a retail drive meaning it was supposed to be sold to OEMs not customers. The 950 Pro will be the retail version.

As such the OEM is responsible for the support and Samsung furnish them with the drivers you need. The Windows 10 Generic NVMe driver was written in 2006!. With that in mind I've found an OEM which has the drive (HP) and has their oem drivers freely available.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...&swEnvOid=4059

Simply install these in the place of the the microsoft drivers (via device manage > have disk etc) and it'll resolve some of the major issues. I'm not sure how good they are but they're better than the microsoft ones which lock up all the time. For reference I'm running all the latest drivers and UEFI. Forcing the intel ones is stupid because they're designed for intel SSDs.

Not having the SM951, I can't comment about whether that driver improves things or causes new problems, or about whether Microsoft has gotten around to updating its NVME driver or not (was it part of Threshold 2? I dunno...)

Well that was a bit of a waste.

I installed the Samsung NVMe Driver from HP and after that my PC wouldn't go to sleep. It would turn off instead. Rolled the driver back and everything was back to normal again.

Back