InorganicMatter
[H]F Junkie
- Joined
- Oct 19, 2004
- Messages
- 15,461
At work, we recently built some new computers (think workstations). The specs are as follows:
P4 2.8GHz (Socket 478)
1GB Corsair XMS
D875PBZ Motherboard
Onboard Gigabit LAN
Cheap SB live sound card
Cheap video card
Windows 2000 (shameful, I know)
Now, one machine in particular is acting very strange. This one in particular is plugged straight into a router which goes straight into the T1 line (most of the other machines go through several switches). This machine will occasionally have a "slow down" on network speed. You will be blazing along, then all of a sudden it's like someone turned off the gas. Then, it will occasionally be completely locked out of our databases. This is a very erratic behaviour, as you can never predict when it will happen. What could be the cause? The person using the computer is a very computer literate person, so it can't possibly be spyware/adware/worm. Any suggestions? I'm going to look bad in front of my boss if I don't fix this....
P4 2.8GHz (Socket 478)
1GB Corsair XMS
D875PBZ Motherboard
Onboard Gigabit LAN
Cheap SB live sound card
Cheap video card
Windows 2000 (shameful, I know)
Now, one machine in particular is acting very strange. This one in particular is plugged straight into a router which goes straight into the T1 line (most of the other machines go through several switches). This machine will occasionally have a "slow down" on network speed. You will be blazing along, then all of a sudden it's like someone turned off the gas. Then, it will occasionally be completely locked out of our databases. This is a very erratic behaviour, as you can never predict when it will happen. What could be the cause? The person using the computer is a very computer literate person, so it can't possibly be spyware/adware/worm. Any suggestions? I'm going to look bad in front of my boss if I don't fix this....