• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SLR Carry Clip

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
2FA
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
21,915
So I know I've personally left my SLR at home a LOT of times because I don't feel like carrying it around my neck or in a bag etc....

This thing looks pretty cool and I wouldn't mind giving one a shot if the price is right. Just happened across it on the web and thought you guys might like the idea as well:

http://www.peakdesignltd.com/

I'm not 100% sold or anything on it, but if it's actually as secure as it looks it could be pretty cool.
 
That is pretty neat. I'd be interested in one if it's secure enough to attach to my motorcycle (in a place out of the wind). I'm not so sure about a lot of the other applications though, something just strikes me as odd for just walking around, but I can see where it would be quite useful
 
I would NEVER carry an SLR around my belt like that. This thing looks like an open invitation for thieves. I might be a bit paranoid, of course.
 
Hmm... does look like a good idea, but I have to agree with northrop, that it looks like a bit of a security risk. I'd like more info on what kind of latches or security mechanisms are in place to keep any random person from a grab-and-run before I'd hop on board with this design.

The fact that they expect it to be sturdy enough to mount on moving vehicles etc within a few design iterations is pretty cool. Seems like when they have a mount that can handle that, they should be able to mount it securely to a belt so it won't get stolen.

Ideally, a mount that could be transferred easily and securely between belt, tripod, or vehicle/rail mount would be extremely cool! I haven't looked into it before, but I'm a little surprised no one has thought of this already.
 
Yeah, obviously you want it to be quick to pull off, but not obviously so in case someone tries to swipe it. I think it would be pretty cool to have a tripod mount built for the clip attached to the camera as well, so you could easily just pull it off the belt and set it on top.

In all honesty though, if it's designed well enough to not just randomly fall off, I think I'd trade the marginal increase in theft risk (depending on where you are of course) for the benefit of not having to shoulder/neck carry my camera. Also if you're a pro and carry multiple cameras for some reason, assuming you have a good belt, these could make carrying around 2-3 pretty easy.
 
^^ Agreed. After using Blackhawk Serpa holsters for a while now, I'd kindof like to see a retension system similar to that on this camera-clip, so it just requires certain points of contact to release the lock. Should be easy enough to implement, and I got the impression they may already have something like that in place but just didn't cover it very well in the video.

And, yeah, if you're not shooting in a crowded area where the security risk is higher, it might be a non-issue. If you do pick one of these up, let us know how it works!
 
Well they're not really for sale yet, it looks like he's doing discounted pre-orders to raise manufacturing capital; but I have lots of disposable income, so I may just pay and hope. :p
 
A rock climber / photographer friend of mine swears by the cotton carrier system. I have to admit it is a lot sturdier and more secure than it looks.
 
Giant torso strangling holster vs a belt clip. Provided the clip works I don't think there's much in the way of a contest except in cases where you might really be moving.
 
The fact that they expect it to be sturdy enough to mount on moving vehicles etc within a few design iterations is pretty cool. Seems like when they have a mount that can handle that, they should be able to mount it securely to a belt so it won't get stolen.
Finally a good enough reason to use protective filters, lol :p

Ideally, a mount that could be transferred easily and securely between belt, tripod, or vehicle/rail mount would be extremely cool! I haven't looked into it before, but I'm a little surprised no one has thought of this already.
Well, RRS makes some really heavy duty car mounts, but as with anything from RRS it costs and arm and a leg to get the full setup.

Yeah, obviously you want it to be quick to pull off, but not obviously so in case someone tries to swipe it. I think it would be pretty cool to have a tripod mount built for the clip attached to the camera as well, so you could easily just pull it off the belt and set it on top.
This is using an arca-swiss standard, so assuming you have an AS type ballhead, you're good to go.
In all honesty though, if it's designed well enough to not just randomly fall off, I think I'd trade the marginal increase in theft risk (depending on where you are of course) for the benefit of not having to shoulder/neck carry my camera. Also if you're a pro and carry multiple cameras for some reason, assuming you have a good belt, these could make carrying around 2-3 pretty easy.
Yeah... no :p I thought the same last year, and heavily invested in the Think Tank's modular system. I've got a belt and pouch for every lens, strobe, and other junk. Trust me, this works great for a lens or two, but with too much weight it gets extremely uncomfortable. I still use this system, but I no longer carry 10lbs of gear strapped to the belt. I've learned my lesson.
 
Back
Top