Slower download speed after upgrade.

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
If this is in the wrong place apologies but it is an issue with the motherboard network port/software.

I've recently upgraded to the PC in my sig from an Core 2 Quad, Win 7 64x setup.

I use Usenet frequently and since upgrading i seem to have lost around 1000KB/s in download speed when maxing out my line.

Before, i used to get around 9140KB/s max download using the onboard lan port on a Gigabyte P45 based motherboard. Port on old board was a Realtek 8111C Gigabyte chip.

Now i get around 8200KB/s max download using the onboard lan port on my MSI Z87-GD65 motherboard. Port on new board is a Killer E2205 chip Gigabyte chip.

I'm using the latest Lan drivers for my chip and have tried older ones but come up with the same result.

Is there an obvious reason behind this speed loss? What i'm wondering is does Windows 8.1 constantly use the network to keep the app tiles updated and if so would it account for 1000KB/s of missing speed. If so, is there a way of stopping it using the network when I'm downloading stuff?

I don't think the speed difference is due to the different chipsets because i get the same speeds using various speed tests that i did before. Also i know its not a massive amount of speed loss (it's equivalent to 8Mbps) but its annoying me.

Anyone have any ideas?

If by download speed you're referring to the same obtained by using sites like http://www.speedtest.net/ then it's a crapshoot depending on the time of day, test site used and whatnot. Right now I'm getting a download speed of 118 Mbps. Sunday night between 7PM and 11PM, when everyone and their dog is on the net, it can drop to as low as 75 Mbps.

No, this isn't something you should be using to gauge network hardware performance at all, especially for comparison purposes. You would be better off using two computers and something like Iperf.

If you've turned your modem on/off a lot, the line may have been flagged as having an issue and could have had its speed reduced a little.
This may sort itself out in a few days/weeks if it is the issue, it depends how their auto correction software works.

See if another device can go faster on the same network.

Thanks for the replies. I've used the BT (i'm in UK) wholesale speed test and the basic one Eldata linked to above and the results are like for like when compared to my old setup, its only when downloading from usenet using all my connection speed that the 1000KB/s speed difference is noticeable.

I haven't reset my router since upgrading and know not to repeatedly do this in case they flag my connection and lower my line speed so i don't think its that.

I'm thinking it might just be a difference in quality between the Killer chip and the Realtek Chip, or maybe the drivers arent mature enough in Win 8.1?

What does iPerf do that basic speed tests don't?

Back