Slow Windows XP Bridged Connection

Alpha736

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to setup a network bridge between two networks, and at first I thought I had everything configured correctly and that it was just the wireless signal causing the dial-up speeds, but I have confirmed that there is up to 11mbps of wireless speed by connecting directly to the first network through the computer I am using as the bridge (while the bridge was disabled) and was able to get full speeds from the internet.

I've narrowed the slowness down to the Windows XP bridge connection. I've tried everything to figure out what could be causing the bridge to turn my speeds to dial-up, I've even tried switching nics.

Topology:

internet --> netgear 802.11b router --> PC with wifi card and ethernet NIC using bridged mode --> linksys WRT54G wan port --> local lan computers.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the network configuration I'm using, I just can't figure out what is causing the Windows XP bridge to turn my speeds to dialup.

Please help. :(

What version of a wrt54g you have?

If it isn't v5 flash the firmware to dd-wrt because the firmware can make it into a wireless bridge.

it can look like this..
internet --> netgear 802.11b router (---------- wireless ------------) wrt54g--> 4 ports for lan pcs or switches

You're trying to run 2 WiFi networks at the same time, and they're interfering with each other. There's your speed loss.

KoZLop said:
What version of a wrt54g you have?

If it isn't v5 flash the firmware to dd-wrt because the firmware can make it into a wireless bridge.

it can look like this..
internet --> netgear 802.11b router (---------- wireless ------------) wrt54g--> 4 ports for lan pcs or switches

Yeah, I've solved the problem, that's exactly what I did. Thanks.

Outback2k1 said:
You're trying to run 2 WiFi networks at the same time, and they're interfering with each other. There's your speed loss.

Nope, that's not it. Plus I've fixed it now.

Back