Slow startup times

adamadekat

Gawd
I don't know if this is the right category to put this in, but here's the deal:
I have a P4 [email protected] believe all my specs are in my sig and whenever I load up Windows XP, it takes a long time before I can start a task. I went to my high school's P3 computer the other day and right when it loaded to the desktop I could start doing stuff. So is there anything I can do to speed up load times?

P.S. I don't have any crap set to "load at startup" so yeah

There is alot of stuff that could potentially cause your problem. First, make absolutely sure that you are not infected with any viruses or spyware. (refer to the security FAQ sticky for more on that) Once you are sure that you are not infected, check out what items are in startup in msconfig and see if disabling any of those helps.

There are alot of other possibilities, but those are the easiest places to start.

i had this same problem, my pc i plenty fast and there wasnt alot in my "run" folder in the registry, but it still took like 2 minuits to boot windows, this happens over time, it is inevitable, windows gets full of junk and old drivers, spyware (eventhough you scan) pieces of code and a ton of just old files it doesnt need anymore, this problem, coupled with a crappy cheap hard drive i had was the problem. i just bought a new hard drive and completely reintalled everything, now i get from power offto the desktop in about 12 seconds and windows is fully done loading in about another 10

just take out the trash and replace your hardware bottlenecks and your computer will fly

ghost6303 said:
i had this same problem, my pc i plenty fast and there wasnt alot in my "run" folder in the registry, but it still took like 2 minuits to boot windows, this happens over time, it is inevitable, windows gets full of junk and old drivers, spyware (eventhough you scan) pieces of code and a ton of just old files it doesnt need anymore, this problem, coupled with a crappy cheap hard drive i had was the problem. i just bought a new hard drive and completely reintalled everything, now i get from power offto the desktop in about 12 seconds and windows is fully done loading in about another 10

just take out the trash and replace your hardware bottlenecks and your computer will fly
This is partially true.
I think it would be hard for him to have such a slow hard drive that it would cause this problem.
Although its true that old drivers do pile up, 2 minute boot time would be hard to acomplish on their account.
I think you have spyware or some virus in your system. Hence, do what i told and post your Hijack This! log file for us to check here.

Actually 22 seconds boot time is kinda long you know...

22 seconds is long? from power off through the bios and 2 RAID controlers starting up plus windows? if thats long i want to know what kind of computer you got :eek: lol

Where do you get Hijack This! I found a site on google who's title of the site was Hijack This, but it's making me pay to register...

Nvm, I found it. Here's the log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 10:18:02 AM, on 11/7/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Adam\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.891\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SysMetrix] C:\Program Files\SysMetrix\SysMetrix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [STYLEXP] C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe -Hide
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1094014083975
O16 - DPF: {A93D84FD-641F-43AE-B963-E6FA84BE7FE7} (LinkSys Content Update) - http://www.linksysfix.com/check/netset/install/gtdownls.cab
O16 - DPF: {DBA230D1-8467-4e69-987E-5FAE815A3B45} (Personal System Administrator Control) - http://www.linksysfix.com/netcheck/24/install/gtdownls.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{F022A70A-1D96-4182-A97A-1F6614FF9911}: NameServer = 206.13.30.12 64.164.99.51

You've got some stuff in that log that you don't need at all, like viewpoint media player, but nothing in there is malicious or should be eating your system resources excessively.

Before getting drastic and doing a format or anything like that, I would uninstall Norton Antivirus and reinstall it to see if maybe it has managed to screw itself up.

The Bryophyte said:
You've got some stuff in that log that you don't need at all, like viewpoint media player, but nothing in there is malicious or should be eating your system resources excessively.

Before getting drastic and doing a format or anything like that, I would uninstall Norton Antivirus and reinstall it to see if maybe it has managed to screw itself up.
I agree.

Among the stuff you dont need.

Viewpoint Media Player (as mentioned above)
Style XP (search uxtheme.dll on google)
All the Norton Crap (use AVG or Antivir, more effective less heavy)
CTHELPER (disable on msconfig)
nwiz (disable on msconfig)
jusched (java update scheduler, youll know when to update, useless process)
Quicktime qtask (disable inside the program options)
SysMetrix (dont really know what that is, do you need it?)
NeroCheck (useless process)

chinoquezada said:
I agree.

Among the stuff you dont need.

Viewpoint Media Player (as mentioned above)
Style XP (search uxtheme.dll on google)
All the Norton Crap (use AVG or Antivir, more effective less heavy)
CTHELPER (disable on msconfig)
nwiz (disable on msconfig)
jusched (java update scheduler, youll know when to update, useless process)
Quicktime qtask (disable inside the program options)
SysMetrix (dont really know what that is, do you need it?)
NeroCheck (useless process)
I agree here. Maybe you should take a look at Nod32, if you take the advice to ditch Norton. I did, and never looked back.

Not really a helpful suggestion, but reformatting always does the trick. ;)

bootvis helps a little...as does cleaning the registry...plus defragging

also check around in your BIOS options to see if you can POST a little faster..

Back