Slow OpenVPN on Lenovo laptop

skubany

Weaksauce
Hi,

I'm running into a peculiar issue while on VPN connection using OpenVPN on a Lenovo laptop.

Lenovo laptop is T560.
Using OpenVPN config file provided by my VPN provider.
Tested on Ubuntu and Windows 7 using laptop Wifi, laptop LAN and dongle LAN.
Tested the same OpenVPN config on different laptops (non-Lenovo) and PCs.
I kept the config the same between tests, the only thing that changed was OS (Ubuntu vs Windows) and hardware (built in LAN/WiFi vs Dongle LAN [over USB 3.0]).

I'm using speedtest.net to run the tests.

Results:
Lenovo Windows 7 LAN - slow
Lenovo Windows 7 WiFi - slow
Lenovo Ubuntu LAN - slow
Lenovo Ubuntu WiFi - slow
Lenovo Windows 7 Dongle LAN - slow
Lenovo Ubuntu Dongle LAN - NORMAL

I also have another Lenovo laptop, T460 (or 480) running Win7 which also runs slow over OpenVPN. The T460 I tested long time ago but remember it behaved similarly to T560.

When I connect to my provider VPN over PPTP (Windows VPN connectivity) the speed is NORMAL, so it is only OpenVPN that is running slow as shown above.

What works. A non-lenovo Ubuntu laptop (older than my T560) over Dongle LAN (same dongle used in T560 testing) and internal WiFi. A PC over LAN running Ubuntu and a mini-PC over LAN running Ubuntu.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm running into a peculiar issue while on VPN connection using OpenVPN on a Lenovo laptop.

Lenovo laptop is T560.
Using OpenVPN config file provided by my VPN provider.
Tested on Ubuntu and Windows 7 using laptop Wifi, laptop LAN and dongle LAN.
Tested the same OpenVPN config on different laptops (non-Lenovo) and PCs.
I kept the config the same between tests, the only thing that changed was OS (Ubuntu vs Windows) and hardware (built in LAN/WiFi vs Dongle LAN [over USB 3.0]).

I'm using speedtest.net to run the tests.

Results:
Lenovo Windows 7 LAN - slow
Lenovo Windows 7 WiFi - slow
Lenovo Ubuntu LAN - slow
Lenovo Ubuntu WiFi - slow
Lenovo Windows 7 Dongle LAN - slow
Lenovo Ubuntu Dongle LAN - NORMAL

I also have another Lenovo laptop, T460 (or 480) running Win7 which also runs slow over OpenVPN. The T460 I tested long time ago but remember it behaved similarly to T560.

When I connect to my provider VPN over PPTP (Windows VPN connectivity) the speed is NORMAL, so it is only OpenVPN that is running slow as shown above.

What works. A non-lenovo Ubuntu laptop (older than my T560) over Dongle LAN (same dongle used in T560 testing) and internal WiFi. A PC over LAN running Ubuntu and a mini-PC over LAN running Ubuntu.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Quantify "slow" and "normal"

Found a fix.

Adding line shown below to OpenVPN config fixes the issue. I don't know if the buffer value is very high or if tweaking the value can improve things further but the connection speed is satisfactory following addition of this line.

rcvbuf 393216

Back