Slow network tranfer only on vista!! (plz help)

stevyd10

Weaksauce
Hey, (sry not really hardware but this is the best forum for help!!)

I have a major problem with my network transfer speed on my vista machine. Basically here is the scenario:

same server with exactly the same file using samba (143mb file)
same gigabit switch going into same gigabit switch then 100mb router (server connected to router)

My macbook can copy the 143mb file across in just under 15 seconds whereas my vista machine takes a little over 2mins for the same file. This is frustrating and more importantly i am getting a nas tomorrow and really need the fast speed!

The speed used to be much slower until i removed the windows firewall but if there is anything I can do to further increase the speed on vista then please let me know!

Thanks

Does the Vista machine have service pack 1?

unfortunately not as i cannot install sp1 as when i do my machine becomes unbootable due to crcdisk.sys or something related to my raid/sata drivers :(

Do you know if i can download this fix separate from sp1??

Assuming you are all updated aside from SP1, there aren't many more updates available. You could try turning off IPv6, I think that was causing some people to get network packet flooding with non-vista machines attached to the same network as a Vista one.

Assuming you are all updated aside from SP1, there aren't many more updates available. You could try turning off IPv6, I think that was causing some people to get network packet flooding with non-vista machines attached to the same network as a Vista one.

thanks this seam to have done the trick. my files are now flying over the network at much faster speeds. I am still gonna try getting sp1 installed though

Thanks! This did the trick for my slow network copies.

SP1 had that crc errors in early beta but the final SP1 was supposed to have fixed that

Disable QoS and IPv6 under your nic properties, ipv6 causes problems for alot of people

Sp1 was supposed to improve network transfer speed ALOT

[EDIT] doh im too slow!

The speed is there, it just that it tapers off and eventually stops. I have tried and tried, reboots, etc.

Now that I disabled IPv6, it's working.

SP1 installed and full updates..

sp1 did fix speeds for

network share -> client
client -> network share

but if you go from network share 1 -> network share 2... it is like 1 MB/s!!!! like wtf microsoft... i have keep on using my win xp virtual machine to these types of transfers

Back