Slow network browsing over VPN,.

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey.

Here is the setup:

Building A
Internet -> Router -> Switch -> Server (CentOS with VMd XP Pro)

Building B
Internet -> Router -> Switch -> Computers

The two routers are Cisco 871s that have a DMVPN between the two which is working, can ping through no problem, back and forth. The problem comes when the user wants to browse to the machines. They can access it by either //ip or //name, that comes up nice and fast. They click in to the first folder that is shared and that is also quick. It slows down and times out on the 2nd folder they click on. It doesn't matter if they have connected through IP or Name or through my network places, no matter what it's slow and timing out on that 2nd folder they select. It also doesn't matter if I've connected to the XP shares or the Linux shares.

Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this problem?

Thanks.

SMB ports coming through? All of them? How bout a network sniff on the server side when a client tries to connect, then reverse it so you sniff the clients side. THat will tell you what packets are not getting through.

Do you run active virus scans on the computer that is looking over the network? I find most times that active virus scanners tend to auto scan files over the network and pull a lot more bandwidth in doing that than you expect.

I'll try a sniff to see if I can find something that way. There is no virus scanner on this machine according to their IT person (they were going to install one today since they just found out about it). Two machines are having the same problem so I'm thinking some sort of packet issue.

Back