Slow load times in Windows....

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I have a few people with laptops that seem to be complaining about slow login times.... I cheked to see if they had their DNS settings in the machines, as I have seen slow logins because of this before(they had them).... NOW, I've checked 5 or 6 other machines on the network and they log on within seconds(desktops that are hardwired)... it just seems to be 3 of the laptops... any ideas? Also, just in case you are wondering, it has nothing to do with the wireless, bnecause I took one of the machines and disabled the wireless and plugged it in ethernet and it still does the slow login... perhaps maybe up to 1.5 minutes before their icons will show up.

QJ

Rebuilding the profile is a decent step, sometimes things get into a profile that cause issues.

I wouldn't rebuild it however, I'd just build a new profile and see if it's slow there, same effect, less work if it's not a profile issue.

Where is it slow in the process? Does it seem to hang at one point or is it slow all around?

Pie in the sky recommendations:
Clear the windows\prefetch folder.
Defragment.

The login box disappears fast and the background shows up, then it takes like 1.5 minutes of doing nothing(HDD light hardly blinks at all) then BAM icons show up and task bar shows up, in a matter of seconds.

QJ

I'd build a new profile, that's what's loading right after login.

edit: Create a new user and login with that account.

Ok, do you mean to go under documents and settings, delete that certain user's folder, and then try re-logging into windows??

QJ

Close, for testing, rename the profile (docs and settings folder). Login, and since the folder isn't there, it'll recreate the profile. If that fixes it, copy what you need out of the renamed folder (IE favorites, desktop, whatever). If not, it's not a profile issue.

Phoenix86 said:
Close, for testing, rename the profile (docs and settings folder). Login, and since the folder isn't there, it'll recreate the profile. If that fixes it, copy what you need out of the renamed folder (IE favorites, desktop, whatever). If not, it's not a profile issue.

Ok that will make restoring info alot easier... thanks for your time... I will try tomorrow if I can.

QJ

Ok, I deleted a user from that machine and rebooted, BANG it logged in fast like it should.... I reboot, and same old thbing.... slow again. I tried doing a repair on the connection to rule out a DHCP issue... and it''s repairing in about 5 seconds at most.... so that is not the problem...any other ideas guys??

QJ

Its a long shot, but have you done a spyware and AV scan? A lot of spyware and viruses tend to hide in various places in user profile folders in Documents and Settings. If you rename the user's folder, on the next boot whatever's starting with windows from that folder wont be found. However with an NTFS file system broken shortcuts are tracked and corrected (or something along those lines), so on the next boot whatever might have been starting up could be doing so again.

just out of the blue, do they have any Network Drives?

Sometimes that will cause the slow logins.

marley1 said:
just out of the blue, do they have any Network Drives?

Sometimes that will cause the slow logins.
Yeah, login scripts, anything...

My users are getting used to the fact that synchronous logins suck with the stuff I've been doing. :D I mean, 20 seconds isn't that big of a deal.

Yes I have a login script that attaches network drives and adds printers... but the whacky thing is, on all the other machines I have it executes the login script in like 10 seconds.... these guys are locking up for about a minute and a half.

QJ

are you doing the logon script using logon.vbs?

if so post the script and ill take a look at it. somestimes they get errors and take a while.

mite just wanna manually add teh drives and printers on those unless you hve diff users using them

QwertyJuan said:
Yes I have a login script that attaches network drives and adds printers... but the whacky thing is, on all the other machines I have it executes the login script in like 10 seconds.... these guys are locking up for about a minute and a half.

QJ
Execute the login script manually after the delay is done. Does the login script run quick or slow?

I will have to try that and see what happens... and no it is not a .vbs.... it's just a plain old .bat file.

QJ

Back