slow folding?

Bodega

Gawd
this just seems unusually slow to me...

specs: 2 x 2.4/533/512 xeons with HT enabled, enough ram, windows server2k3.

I set up 4 f@h clients, each with the -local and -forceasm flags.
each client is working on the p_854 gromacs that im petty sure is like 60 points.
(btw there is nothing unning other than f@h)

client1: 1 frame every 1hr 10 mins.
client2: still 'ensuring stats'
client3: 1 frame evey 50 mins.
client4: yet to complete 2nd frame

does this seem a bit slow to anyone else? i've never worked with HTd dual xeons with folding so im not sure waht to expect.

It's a 155pt wu, but that still seems slow. Anything else stealing cycles maybe? :confused:

edti: Doh! just reread, nothing else running. hmm...

overclocking sounds like a good solution.

are they all set up properly? make sure they all have different machine id's and everything and any access rules for your internet are set up.

and OT: i'm getting CPU's back online! i'm back up to 18 (that have turned in WUs) ATM and i should hit around 30! w00t!

and back on topic... hope you can figure it out. it may just be starting slow... i suppose you'll find out in a day or two.

I just got a 277 pointer that EM is showing will take over 50 hours. That’s on a 2.3 gig AMD CPU. Every once and a while I really do question how Stanford arrives at the point schedule.

Seems just about the time you get it figured out a new protein come along that is much more chewy then the old ones.

You would think it would make sense for them to break it up into smaller chunks, not for the points, but if you are working a 50 hour WU and it gets pooched, that’s just blown and costly time for everyone.

Not a rant, just my $.02 worth

Check the start of the FAHlog File that your SSE boost is turn on.
If not then add the -forceasm switch to the startup line.
Without the boost you will see a 100% reduction in your folding speed.

Working out some rough figures I make it that you should be doing a frame in around 40 mins so it looks like your boost is off.

Luck........... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

The quick answer is NO. The other answer is, HT will allow you to treat your computer as if it were a dual processor machine. You can run two instances of Folding.

You need two folding folders each with it’s own client. Run your “– config” and at the end designate one configuration as #1 and the second as #2.

You will need to add the “– local” flag to your shortcuts so that each client uses it’s own information. In your stats it will show up as and extra CPU.

I do it on my one and only Intel machine and it’s a 10 to 15% increase in output at 3.2 gigs.

is EM3 compatable with server2k3...?

its not working for some reason. just doesnt start :(

Back