Slow folder performance

mr. texas

Weaksauce
i just got a new 200GB western digital sata. i moved some files and folders over from my main hard drive to archive them and back them up. one folder is about 7GB. when i click the folder the computer hesitates and the folder will open only after a 20 sec or so delay. any idea what might cause this? :(

it will be relative to the speed of the comp, if you are running a pII 400, 7 gig folders are gonna take a while to open. Another thing to think about, if you are viewing by thumbnail in winxp it can take a while for images to render.

check your event viewer, your probably have hard drive issues (i.e. somewhat broken).

mjz_5 said:
check your event viewer, your probably have hard drive issues (i.e. somewhat broken).
the computer is a brand new asus p4c800 deluxe with a 3.0C intel. what do i look for in event viewer that corresponds to hard drive problems and or performance?

mr. texas said:
the computer is a brand new asus p4c800 deluxe with a 3.0C intel. what do i look for in event viewer that corresponds to hard drive problems and or performance?

check for any errors, and let me know what are they... You will probably see on that corresponds to the hard drive.

or simply some serious fragmentation
or concurrent access on that channel, drive or partition

Diskeeper increased the entries of mine and then my folders read faster after.

- Para

Back