Slow File Transfer to 2003 Server

tom1328732

n00b
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to fix a slight problem I have, but I'm afraid I'm out of ideas and Google isn't helping much.

I have a Windows 2003 server machine with a GB ethernet adapter in it, and I use the server to hold files and act as a gateway. However, when I try to copy (large) files to the server, network utilization is about 50% for 3-4 seconds, then bottoms out to .5%-5% and keeps fluctuating in that range until it finishes or I stop it. I am able to copy files from the server at an acceptable speed without any trouble, though (30-50% utilization).

I know the problem can't be my own machine because I'm able to transfer large files to and from other Windows XP Pro machines without any problem. Anyone have an idea of what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Tom

P.S. I tried to search for something related to this, but I couldn't find anything.

::Edit:: I should mention the server is also a domain controller.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, both adapters are currently 1000/FD. I'm experimenting with it some more to see if I can find some sort of pattern for the transfer rate and seeing if I can find anything interesting with the network monitor thing.

You've done the usual stuff like update your drivers, swapped out the cable, and rebooted?

Check if you aren't running a firewall or active av inspection on those nics.

Back