slow dvd imaging

Ok I have a buddy who has been riping and burning dvd's the exact same way I have, I mean the exact same way, except until recently he had a MUCH faster machine. I had a 1.6 amd with 512 ram and he had a 2.8 celleron with 1 gb ram, so it was understandable that it took him about 45 min to make an image to burn onto disk and it took me about 4-5 hours. Well I made some upgrades to a 2.4ghz processor and a gig and a half of ram and decided to try it again and I am encoding at the same rate! what gives? Why is mine so slow. Not only that but I monitored both of out cpu usages durring this process and his barely ever spikes over 30% while mine stays at 100 until it's done. can someone give me some answers?

Yours actually should be kicking the crap out of his. Celerons are slow....I mean real slow...in anything more than web browsing, etc.

What kind of 2.4 did you upgrade to? Did you keep the old mobo and use a 2400+ processor, or an AMD actually clocked at 2.4 (which I doubt, unless you've been majorly overclocking)?

If you replaced the motherboard and went intel or something, what kind of 2.4? Celeron, or Pentium 2.4A/B/C?

I have a celeron as well and a new gigabyte motherboard. No he old setup was not overclocked. I don't want to start the great debate in here, but besides he fsb and the new "hyperthreading"there isn't really any difference between celeron and p4 in most applications. I used to belive otherwise also, but in college we did complete bench tests on them ourselves, each student had the same processor from celeron and from p3 at the time, and they were shockingly close to equal. I'm sure that with the advent of 800 for the fsb and hyperthreading (which is only usefull in very specific instances) the p4 chips would outpreform celeron's now, but 4 my money they still can't be beat. NOW
With that being said I know that both a better fsb ( I believe it's 400) and hyperthreading would help with dvd burning for obvious reasons, but that still doesn't exsplain why his box, which has neither of those things, performs so much better than my box, which does not either

The obvious thing to check is to see if your DVD drive is running in DMA mode, or stuck in slow ass PIO Mode.

And also, please don't lie to yourself and try to somehow explain that a Celeron is basically the same as a P4. As they may support the same technologies, and work in the same boards, there is a HUGE performance difference. The bus speed is MUCH MUCH slower, and I believe the cache is smaller as well. I have a Shuttle SB51GB, and I've done the testing between a Celeron 2.4 and a P4 2.4B. There is a huge difference in performance.

the drive is in dma, but that's irrelevent because the disk ripping is already done, that doesn't really take any longer than it should. It's when the raw, ripped vob files are on the machine and then turned into a image to place on a disk that the problem encures.

Took me awhile to figure out you were ripping/burning instead of encoding :D If you were doing that, then I'd say your machine should kick his.

But if you're ripping and burning, then your DVD and hard drive speeds matter most. Well, maybe some IO specs on your MB too, but they shouldn't peak your CPU usage.

I assume you installed all the drivers (including for the motherboard, my brother always forgot those, said windows did it for him) and like djnes said, check your drive too. at 4-5 hours to image, it sounds like it's running at only 1x or less than that.

Need to know the following to further help:

*what make/model DVDRW drive?
*what make/model HDD?
*What software are you using to rip/image?
*how are they connected?(IDE,SATA, on the same IDE channel or not)
*What DMA/PIO mode of both the HDD and DVDRW(there are more than one of each)?
*Not likley but: do you have any background apps tying up CPU/HDD usage? Or just a lot of junk?

Last one is unlikley, but I've seen some nastily configured systems from some so-called PC enthusiasts.

Back