Slow download speed fast upload speeds

devin_m

Limp Gawd
*Solved*

I'm running into an issue on my network in our main office we're getting 15/15 then we have a connection to a remote office through a cable run to a switch and they get 15/15. We have four ports run to another office no switch and one computer is getting 15/15 and another is getting 2/15. What should I look at first?

Here is the layout of our network

Motorola ->C3560 -> 2951 -> 2960 ----------> 2960 ------------> Client
PTP 300/500/600

Last edited:
so one computer in the office is getting 15/15 but another computer in the same office running to the same switch is only getting 2/15?

It's looking like a bad cable, I'm going to see if I can get a higher level admin to log into the last switch in the chain and check the port status. We may be looking at a cable being on the edge length wise I'll have to talk to our electrical guys. That's one nice thing about working on a network on a construction site there are always electricians to do a cable run for you.

get them to check for crc errors on the port

sh int fa0{portnumber}will give them that info.

We got it resolved I had our electricians re-terminate both ends of the connection to the client and now we're getting 21 down / 15 up, thanks for all the ideas.

Well it turned out that didn't fix it. When I removed the VoIP phone that the network connection was passing through the speed test shot up to 16/16 so I thought it was the phone and brought it back to my office tested it locally and didn't have any issues. When I put it back out to the user it was so slow the speed test failed. Any ideas?

cable run is out of spec is my first guess.
Re-run all the cables paying attention to the specs.
The network interfaces in many voip phones is cheap junk and does not work on out of spec cables as well as a good network card.
I have ran into it 3-4 times in the last 6 months as many of my clients moved to voip on old wiring or wiring I didn't run.

Yeah the cable run was my initial thought as well, I'll talk to our people about digging up the conduit and re-running our cable.

We are running four ethernet and I believe the electricians ran power, I wasn't here when it was ran. I believe the power is industrial shielded but not carrying a lot of current.

We are running four ethernet and I believe the electricians ran power, I wasn't here when it was ran. I believe the power is industrial shielded but not carrying a lot of current.
If it is running along side power that is your problem right there.

Back