• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Slow down fans

zaiLex

n00b
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
33
Is it true you can slow down your fans by connecting it to a molex that has one or more of it's wires removed? If so how many wires should you remove from the molex and does it go slower with each wire removed from the molex? I'm talking about the four wires in molex. :)
thanks
 
What you're referring to is called the 7V--mod.

Normally a (12 V) fan is connected to the 12 V rail and ground, so it sees a potential difference (voltage) of 12 V. By connecting the same fan to the 12 V and the 5 V rails (yellow and red respectively), the fan sees a voltage of 12 - 5 = 7 V, so it'll spin (much) slower than with a voltage of 12 V.

I'd recommend against this mod, however, as it'll mess with the system's ground and may introduce significant 'noise' on the rails it's connected to, which could affect system performance and stability.
 
Ok, so i'll just buy fan controller then? I don't know why but i can't control my fans in speedfan (and yes i'm connecting them to the motherboard) and i hate how loud they are (14dB silenX fans).
 
zaiLex said:
Ok, so i'll just buy fan controller then? I don't know why but i can't control my fans in speedfan (and yes i'm connecting them to the motherboard) and i hate how loud they are (14dB silenX fans).
Yes, a fan controller is the most elegant solution.

In order for Speedfan to be able to control the speed of fans, the mainboard needs to have this functionality built-in.
 
I doubt it, its a sever feature mainly, if the motherboard connectors are 3 pin its almost certain bet it cannot, you need 4 pin motherboard fan connectors (power, ground, rpm sense, pwm speed) for the motherboard to control the fans and 4 pin PWM fans, which are hard to find to go with it.

However I do not have the motherboard, of course the manual would tell you or a visit to MSI website and a look at the boards feature list would tell you for sure. They will mention it if it can, if its not mentioned it can't.

Pretty sure it wont, cant remember it being mentioned in any review on that board. However I have been wrong before :eek:
 
hmm, I have looked at the board a lot, by control do you mean rpm monitoring and shutdown temps or can it acutally control fan rpm.

Ohhh that cool and quiet software !!! doh, I forgot about that.

Looks like this is one of those "I was wrong" deals :p

Was thinking of hardware control, I am not a big fan (pun intended) of that stuff but you are exactly right.
 
Back
Top