Slow DL speeds on Steam normal?

Baredor

Gawd
So I've finally decided to get with the times and grab HL2 along with SIN ep1 off of Steam. This is my first time using it and I'm not very pleased with the throughput I'm getting. Do I need to open up some ports on my router, or is this par for the course?

steam.jpg

You have 5 downloads going... even on a fast connection that could slow it down alot due to the amount of open connections.

I think when you donwload more than 1 thing on steam, the transfer speed split.

The latest CS:S update for me DL'ed at about 3.5KB/s the entire time I was watching it... other updates have gone at nearly 200KB/s so I think it just depends on how busy their servers happen to be.

I expected the multiple files to split the speed, but even if you add them all up it's only 60kb/s or so. I left it running overnight and HL2 and SIN ep1 still have a long way to go.

I decided to re-play HL2 before I get Ep1 but I didn't want to pull out my cds so I just downloaded it thru steam. Took about 30 mins for playable download, then 45 to fully finish. The download was hitting 500k a few times. I'm surprised yours dl rate is that low.

Back