• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SLow CPU speeds when browsing.

Pivo504

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 18, 2005
Messages
3,381
My cpu is OCed to 3.2, quad core with 8 gigs ram and it seems a bit laggy at times with games loaded, websites loading ect. What might be the problem? I do have older sata drives that are 7200, might that be the issue? If it is what is a good hdd you guys recommend for a really good price?
 
or something else is siphoning CPU cycles or disk access or both. It's kind of a longshot along those lines, but do a comprehensive malware check. Some malware, much of it I've experienced on other people's computers, constantly scans the HDD -- using a lot of CPU and disk thoroughput.
 
Im using firefox,I have quadcore I5 750@3.2, Gskill 2X2, win home prem 7, evga GTX 465. I have regular sata hdd720, I did defrag and used adaware scan fine there. Whats good malware scan & how do I check for SMART errors? Im not sure but I constantly hear my harddrives making some sort of clicking noises...
 
HDTune

if your hearing audible clicking noises in a case youve got a dead/dying drive more than likely

Im using firefox,I have quadcore I5 750@3.2, Gskill 2X2, win home prem 7, evga GTX 465. I have regular sata hdd720, I did defrag and used adaware scan fine there. Whats good malware scan & how do I check for SMART errors? Im not sure but I constantly hear my harddrives making some sort of clicking noises...
 
What HDD do you guys suggest? I dont need a ton of space. I wouldn't mind something noticeably faster since this is a SATA 2 HD.
 
get hd tune and do a health check and test the read and write speeds. Then compare them with the original specs.
 
Open a web browser and bring up task manager. See if the CPU is doing anything more than idling. If it is being used (say more than 5%), check the processes tab to see what's taking the most CPU %.

Also, I recently threw a HDD in my new system (which has a SSD/Win 7) to install XP for some older applications. Man my system is dog slow loading app's, Internet, booting, etc. I never knew much performance SSD's gave you until I rolled back and saw it with my own eyes. It is only a 120GB though. My old WD with 2x320GB platters was pretty damn fast. I suppose newer HDD's are OK.
 

Maybe I'm retarded, but that HDD is completely pointless today. Costs more and is slower than the alternatives:

http://newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145520

Hitachi 7K3000 will mop the floor with any other HDD, likely at lower prices. Also, this one also gives a healthy 500GB capacity boost. WD's Blue/Black stuff is not competitive anymore, besides having lots of reliability issues on the 2TB drives (Black 2TB has 9-11% failure rate, everyone else has around 5%).
 
Yes, always. If the CPU/memory don't have a proper connect you won't even past the BIOS.

Old HDD... hmm, well, there's your problem!

No, not always. I fix corporate PC's everyday at my job and reseating essential components as initial troubleshooting sometimes does the trick. Albeit rare, but sometimes...

Weak connection is much different than no connection.
 
Tuneup Utilities I found does wonders for speeding up a system. It gets rid of lots of unnecessary startup programs, which dramatically reduces hard drive usage and speeds it up overall.

A clicking hard drive is not necessarily an indicator of a bad hard drive, especially on the older Hitachi 2000 models. Those drives are noisy by design.
 
No, not always. I fix corporate PC's everyday at my job and reseating essential components as initial troubleshooting sometimes does the trick. Albeit rare, but sometimes...

Weak connection is much different than no connection.

Right, a weak connection will give you intermittent BSOD's and bios error beeps vs no connection which would do it all the time. It's not going to slow the system down.
 
I've never seen an improperly seated memory stick cause slow downs. You'd be lucky to get past the bios beeps.

I can vouch for this, i was working with After Affects a few months back i and noticed it was really sluggish and i looked at my system info an noticed that i only had 3 of my 4 gigs showing up so i checked it and there was one stick that wasn't completely click in and seated so once i did that it fixed the issue.
 
Dont think its the memory...Only thing I can think of is older hdd. But I never noticed it was slow when I first built the comp..Should I reformat everything & start from scratch? Do SSD drives really make a huge dif in everyday small tasks?
 
Dont think its the memory...Only thing I can think of is older hdd. But I never noticed it was slow when I first built the comp..Should I reformat everything & start from scratch? Do SSD drives really make a huge dif in everyday small tasks?

As far as i have heard from friends who have been using SSDs there is an overall performance increase in the OS and some tasks. So, Yes there is a noticeable difference in small tasks.
 
Speedstep downclocks, so if you're browsing it might be at 1600 mhz or so. Maybe you notice that, some pople don't care. I personally do and notice it.
 
I used Intel Burn test, passed...Not sure what else to do? A quad core @3.4 should be fast...
 
Which SSD do you guys recommend? I dont want to spend too much but want something I will notice, speedwise. Using my SATA as backup drives wont slow anything down?
 
another thing since no one bothered to mention is checking your overclock, even though its a mild overclock if its not totally stable it can cause the slow loading/desktop app issue thats being experienced.

i doubt its the hard drives given the fact that hes never used a system with an SSD hes not going to know the difference in speed and even old hard drives don't slow down all that much over time unless its completely full and fragmented.
 
I've had similar issues prior to my Western Digital hard drive self destructing. I'm pretty confident that replacing the HDD will fix the problem entirely.
 
Do you think it might be from using RAID 0? Should I not raid my drives after reformatting or ?
 
I've of the mind that it's the HDD.

Get yourself a Samsung Spinpoint F3. It's 1 TB, but it's well priced. HDD makes a huge difference on your browsing speeds, since it's caching to your HDD.
 
I dont really need a terabyte...Id rather have a superfast hd with less storage than a slower one with storage ill never use..
 
Those Samsung F3's are only $50... The only SATA spindle drives faster would be in the 10k rpm family, and not by much.
 
But how does it compare to a SSD?

Even the very fastest hard drives are way slower than a relatively slow SSD - both in sequential transfers and in access times. For example, a Velociraptor still took 5+ ms to access random files while most SSDs took no longer than 1 ms. And due to the much lower platter densities in the fastest-spinning hard drives, the fastest Velociraptor (transfer-speed-wise) barely surpasses the sequential transfer speed of the fastest-performing 7200 RPM hard drives such as the soon-to-be-discontinued Hitachi 7K3000 series.
 
Last edited:
^ this. Any ssd, and I mean any, will blow the doors off of any spindle drive in every aspect of performance.
 
^ this. Any ssd, and I mean any, will blow the doors off of any spindle drive in every aspect of performance.

Agreed, just look for SSD reviews and they will show you that its like comparing apples and oranges when it comes to speed. As far a cheap SSDs you are going to have to be on the look out for deals because i see quite a few good deal popup a couple times a week. I bought my Kingston 64gb SSD for $70 after mail-in-rebate. I haven't installed it yet though because im waiting to build a whole new system. I just need to close on my house first! :(
 
Are there any good deals going on right now? Im looking for 100-120 gb. Dont want anything too small that could run out of space!
But anyways shouldnt my PC be pretty blazing fast with 4 core @ 3.2 plus 4 gigs ram...
 
Back
Top