slow boot on high end system

I have a pretty high end system, amd 64 3500, 6800 gt, 1 gig mem, western digital raptor 10,000 rpms, yet when xp is loading is takes about 20 sweeps of the loading bar, what the hell? my 5 year old computer went faster than this.

Definitely sounds like something is wrong, I have almost the same system and it takes 2.5 sweeps of the blue bar to boot.

MTB2Live said:
it sounds like some sort of a driver issue (namely chipset related?)
my thoughts exactly ... here's some questions that need answering:

- what kind of mobo do you have (make/model/bios) ??
- is the raptor drive using an onboard serial ata connector, or a sata interface card?
- if you have multiple hard drives in your machine, does the bios list the raptor drive as the first in the list?
- did you install a sata driver during the xp install (during the blue screen install area)?
- have you loaded the mobo chipset drivers for winxp?
- does device manager have any errors?
- what other hardware do you have in the machine? how are they configured (ie: jumper settings, etc.)?
- are you overclocking anything?

these are just some common questions that need answers for a post like this.
(note: you may want to prepare now by backing up any data b/c most people will wind up re-installing xp in a case like this to start fresh).

Make sure nothing is overclocked...

Asside from PTNL's list, look for errors in the event viewer. If you see errors or warnings that might hint at the issue.

When it comes to this, I always first check networking. Anything in the logs about not being able to get an IP? Try just booting it up unplugged from your network (assuming you have one) cause then it'll just grab it's own internal IP. Other than that I'd go with the above and verify drivers. Maybe also check msconfig (start/run/msconfig) and the event logs (right click My Computer/Manage/Event Viewer) again to see if there's any delays.

Sorry for the directions, just covering the bases.

This is likely a timeout vs slow performance. Check the event viewer logs.

my motherboard is an asus a8v-e and i have the most recent bios, only 1 hard drive and it has a built in sata

Anything in the event logs though?

It can be launched by entering "eventvwr.msc" into the run prompt (or any number of other ways).

First, find that system startup event:
BootEvent.png

As you can see, the "Description" field is unlike most other events, and the time lag from the previous event is the easiest indication.

Then read the system and applicaiton events that occured shortly after. If there are any warnings or errors, something is wrong and the event description may give you an idea of what it is. If you can't find what a given warning or error is, you might post the error info here (but only after searching). Like someone else mentioned, the most likely cause is some sort of timeout occuring, see if anything matches that description.

Or if you still have trouble finding it, you can clear the log and reboot the computer :rolleyes:

I have that board and when I installed the most recent bios: the 1005, everything went to hell. Boot time and especially stability went very bad. I reverted to the 1004 and all is well. Please respond so I know that my fix really worked.

Q

Back