• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Slow 6800GT speeds

flwolf

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 13, 2003
Messages
403
I have the Gainward 6800GT. It's replacing a 9800 Pro. The 6800 is very choppy in games and in some games it gives less performance. I've tried multiple driver versions, turning off fast writes, trying different AGP apeture sizes, re-installing Via 4in1's, changing driver settings to high performance, turning off AA/AF, and as a last resort, formatted and reinstalled XP.

My system is an AMD 64 3000+ with 1gig of high performance Corsair ram, Gigabyte K8VNXP motherboard, Audigy 2, etc. Nothing is overclocked.

Even using 2D applications I see a difference. With the 9800 Pro, windows would "pop" up on the screen, web browsing was incredibly quick. With the 6800GT, I can see each web page "draw" onto the screen and if I scroll up and down a web page with images on it, it hesitates. With 3D games, it seems like it hesitates every time a new texture or model has to be drawn. It is very choppy and jerky.

To me, the symptoms seem as though the chipset drivers are not installed, but they are. I also notice that when playing a game the hard drive will do alot of work, most of the time when that new texture or model is drawn. This would seem to tell me that I need more ram for it's swapping to the hard drive, but I have 1gig of ram.

I get 11k on 3dmark03 which tells me it's giving me the performance but games suck.

I'm at my wits end with this. I've tried everything I know of, formatted twice, etc. Is it a bad card or could it be something else?

Thanks,

Kevin
 
If 3dmark gives you a good score but games suck then maybe your sound might be giving you grief. Maybe some of the nforce drivers are conflicting with something else. I generally install the absolute minimum drivers/patches after a format just to see how it starts out.
 
i get the same problems with my 6800gt, my performance in game isnt where it should be.
 
My system is at a bare minimum right now. The only software I have installed right now is Windows XP, a couple games, all necessary drivers, Windows updates, chipset drivers, and that's about it. For sound, I installed the latest Audigy 2 drivers.


Kevin
 
Hmm try unplugging the Audigy . I've lost faith in the latest drivers ,patches etc a long time ago , it seems the more patches the slower the whole thing runs . Lately I just install the patch for the blaster worm and thats it . Also been using zonealarm for years and didnt didnt realise what a hog it was until got something else . Not to mention some problems with certain games. By bare minimum I meant video only , no lan, ide drivers etc.
 
I took out the Audigy 2 but there was no change. Even when I click the down arrow to see my web site history in the address bar it hesitates.

I also ran Gainwards update utility and there was a new BIOS available. I flashed the bios but it didn't help either.


Kevin
 
my 6800 gt has givin me No issues ... all games work perfect , an im even using a creative sound card (5.1Live!) an theres no issues
 
Try putting the 9800 Pro back in and see if the problem is still there. Sounds like its not a video card problem, maybe something in the bios or system stability with your power supply changed with the card.
 
CrAzYsPyDeR said:
my 6800 gt has givin me No issues ... all games work perfect , an im even using a creative sound card (5.1Live!) an theres no issues
Wow, make a thread of your own and cheer about it, smurf. :rolleyes:
 
get latest drivers and make sure ( tis wat happened to me) take out of agp slot lay it on ground carpet watever something that doesn't conduct electricity get 1 mini fan and blow on cards bottom and slot it worked for me first time i got cuz sometimes packaging sticks a little :cool: :cool:
 
i have the same gainward 6800gt. mine also replaced a 9800pro.

here are my problems so far:

1 - ALL openGL games will freeze if i try adjust the resolution in game or try to exit
2 - As mentioned above...2d application performance is noticably slower than before
3 - D3D performance in some instances is 50% of what the 9800prop was able to do....

this was in medal of honor pacific assault demo...

9800pro at 1280x1024 max detail w/v-sync 6xAA and 12xAF...i was getting around 20fps

6800GT at 1280x1024 max detail NO v-sync 4xAA and 0xAF...it never got more over 10 fps
 
alright, i think i fixed my performance issues. i defragged both hd's and cleaned the system off all vga drivers twice with driver cleaner 3, then restarted and cleaned twice again. the i went and installed the latest nvidia drivers. i ran some games including doom3, farc ry and mohpa.

i can say that mt fps are now according to most reviews out there or above. farcary at 1280x1024..max detail and 4xAA and 8xAF ran at 45 to 50 frames average with lows at 33.

mohpa frames are up from a mere 10fps to 22.. :)

now i just have to find out why it freezes in opengl and i am happy. maybe reinstalling the games will fix that?
 
Good to hear you got it sorted out. I found that some older games get freezes regardless of reinstalls , games that ran fine on gf4 and 9600xt. I'd say as time passes the drivers will eventually iron out all the bugs ,at least recent games are running fine.
 
CrAzYsPyDeR said:
my 6800 gt has givin me No issues ... all games work perfect , an im even using a creative sound card (5.1Live!) an theres no issues

I've got a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS and a 6800GT. I couldn't be happier. I'm getting better performance in all my games than I did with the X800Pro. With the exception of Farcry which I hadn't tried yet.
 
:LiquiD: said:
i have the same gainward 6800gt. mine also replaced a 9800pro.

here are my problems so far:

1 - ALL openGL games will freeze if i try adjust the resolution in game or try to exit
2 - As mentioned above...2d application performance is noticably slower than before
3 - D3D performance in some instances is 50% of what the 9800prop was able to do....

this was in medal of honor pacific assault demo...

9800pro at 1280x1024 max detail w/v-sync 6xAA and 12xAF...i was getting around 20fps

6800GT at 1280x1024 max detail NO v-sync 4xAA and 0xAF...it never got more over 10 fps

Hmm.. I wonder if maybe the Gainward product is causing this. I've had my BFG 6800GT OC since launch.. plugged in and played.. no problems. I would try popping in the 9800pro see if it clears it up. Then maybe look into returning the card for say a BFG with a lifetime warranty :)
 
Back
Top