• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Slow 4P - E5 4650 ES

MrLie

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
80
Just finished a 4P build, using Supermicro X9QRi-F+ and E5-4650 ES (QBED). Installed Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTE and followed the Ubuntu Desktop Installation guide here on this forum. Currently I only have 4x 4GB ramchips (1600mhz/reg/ecc), while waiting for the 12 that I have in backorder to arrive.

I was surpriced that I got a TPF of +47 minutes on a P8104, giving me only 5172 PPD.

A copy of fahdiag can be found here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6332673/

Installed the new [H] Ubuntu Folding Appliance on a usb I had lying around, but I got more or less the exact same result on TPF, that I had on the full Ubuntu installation previous.

A copy of fahdiag can be found here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6336102/

I've run Memtest86+ and no errors were found with the ram I have installed currently.
Would the (lack of) amount of ram I currently have, be the reason for such a poor result?
 
I'm seeing X server consuming almost one core [90%] in each of the cases [check top 5 CPU consumers section]. You may want to double check if that's the case using 'top'.

vmstat section is consistent with that, too -- instead of 64 running processes, it shows 65:
64 FAHcore worker threads + something else (most likely Xserver).

Whatever the problem it's somehow related to either:
- an application launched in GUI, or
- video card driver, or
- X11 server itself

As a quick test, you could:
- boot normally but then, instead of logging in via GUI, log in via SSH [PuTTY] and launch fah from there, or
- boot w/o GUI and see if that improves your folding performance
 
Thanks, I was running System Monitor. I turned it off and now I have a TPF of 6:00 minutes on a 8104 project :)
 
Back
Top