• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Slotket?

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
6,677
I have an OEM Slot 1 motherboard from Micron that has a 500 MHz PIII, part number 80525PY500512 (details here.

I also have a 933 MHz Socket 370 PIII, probably RB80526PZ933256.

Can I use something like this to join them in unholy matrimony? I have no control over voltages or bus speeds, unfortunately...
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Perhaps if the board supports the proper voltages, microcode for CuMine based P3 CPUs, and a 133MHz FSB...

But I can't say for sure since it's been over 10 years since I've even seen, much less upgraded or repaired a Micron PC...
 
I think it will work. I don't believe Coppermine PIIIs had any special requirements compared to the older Katmai chips.
 
But they do require lower voltages...do any of the adapters include VRM hardware to drop the 2.0V the motherboard gives the Katmai chips down to the ~1.7 the Coppermines require?

Pretty sure the motherboard is a SE440BX-2 manufactured by Intel.
 
I had a slotket on my ABIT BE6-II, the slotket was made by ASUS. It had a bunch of jumpers on it to adjust voltage, and *maybe* the multi and FSB, but that I can't remember.

So yes, in theory it should work.
 
But they do require lower voltages...do any of the adapters include VRM hardware to drop the 2.0V the motherboard gives the Katmai chips down to the ~1.7 the Coppermines require?

Pretty sure the motherboard is a SE440BX-2 manufactured by Intel.
Does the motherboard support slot Coppermine CPUs?
 
If the slocket supports voltage adjustments such as a couple of the Abit or 3rd party versions then voltage considerations would be eliminated.
 
all depends on the motherboard support. there were bios updates the for microcode for CuMine like someone else mentioned.


man i remember i had a abit bp6 running mismatched celerons, running win2k beta just to get SMP support. then i sold one of the chips off and got a CuMine and had to use a adapter for PPGA to FC-PGA. that was like 99 or 00. thats some old hardware.
 
I was gonna say same thing, if the motherboard has the jumpers to support the multiplier and fsb settings, then it should theoretically have support for voltage settings.

I miss the days of not having documentation and trying to figure out which jumper settings would give me what voltage.... So many fried procs!!!

Good luck
 
It says on the eBay page:

This Adapter Card Auto-Detect CPU Speed and Voltage

Sooo....um...yeah, according to that no prob on the voltage.
 
I remember back in the day you could use tape to block pins changing what the motherboard reads as the default fsb or voltage. I remember blocking pin b21 makes a Celeron 300a read as a 100Mhz fsb chip and run at 450Mhz. Might be able to change the voltage with that if needed.
 
Perhaps if the board supports the proper voltages, microcode for CuMine based P3 CPUs, and a 133MHz FSB...

But I can't say for sure since it's been over 10 years since I've even seen, much less upgraded or repaired a Micron PC...

If it can run @ 133 MHz, it would be a prime candidate for a Slocket package (MSI used to make one for a VERY wide variety of Slot 1 boards; back before I bought my ABIT VP6, I used one with a P-III600 and an A-Trend 440BX-based Slot 1 mobo).

The VP6, naturally, forced the Slocket into retirement (it's a dual-S370 workstation mobo that has a 1 GHz P-III in one socket; I may yet use it for a guest Linux/BSD mailstation, which is why it's still around).
 
all depends on the motherboard support. there were bios updates the for microcode for CuMine like someone else mentioned.


man i remember i had a abit bp6 running mismatched celerons, running win2k beta just to get SMP support. then i sold one of the chips off and got a CuMine and had to use a adapter for PPGA to FC-PGA. that was like 99 or 00. thats some old hardware.

That was indeed the reasoning behind the old dual-S1/dual-XEON/dual-S370 workstation mobos (in those bad old days before hyperthreading killed discrete SMP and the Core architecture moved it to the single-socket level).

After the BP6, ABIT brought another dual-CPU workstation board to bear (the infamous VP6), which was a dual-S370 WS mobo with the VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset; it was my last non-Intel-chipset mobo for a decade (until I bought my current P5N-EM). The VP6 soldiered on as my sole rig's core until the P4C800E Deluxe replaced it in 2004; however, Mom wound up with it for three years (it actually took Windows Vista to force the VP6 into retirement; the 1 GB PC133 capacity meant that it was a decent performer with XP). I was, in fact, running the VP6 when I came to [H].
 
Back
Top