Slot fans

Glyphic

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking for some ways to cool my case a little without modding it (not yet) do these slot fans help much? http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/slf-01.html Says they put out 42 cfm, so if I got 2 or 3 of them would it make a noticable difference? and what about this, http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/hdc-21.html, and one last thing I have a kingwin case ( check sig) should I think about replacing the stock fans with tornados , this case has two intake fans on the front (in front of my hd rack) and one exhaust fan on the back.

Thanks

Slot fans are good, they help take out the heat from your video card. But, all of the ones I have used lasted 3-4 months. I havent found a good brand yet, and I have been through 4 of them, including the one you have listed from Frozencpu. They are pretty quite though.

my friend did this.. get some zip ties and a 80 mm fan.. remove all the slot covers and zip tie the 80 mm to it so its exaust.. ghetto but works well
if you want wicked sick cooling get a 80 mm tornado :D :eek:

the bay freezer sounds like a interesting idea... doesnt look too quiet tho

well the tornado ain't quiet either, but should I get better case fans?

(intake) 2 Evercool Front case fans:
80x80x25mm, 2500RPM, 25dBA, 32.4CFM.

(exhaust) 1 Evercool Rear case fan:
80x80x25mm, 2500RPM, 25dBA, 32.4CFM.

You might benefit from having your airflow running through the case evenly, and your weak exhaust may impede that. It doesn't need to be a wind tunnel but it needs to flow through the case to take heat out.

something I've noticed is that my 3 harddrives which are mounted in front of my two intake fans block most of that air, but at least my drives stay pretty damn cool, but it seems that I should either have another intake source on the front on get better fans

Never been a fan of slot fans. I've had a couple - but as already stated by saturnine2, they seem to die within months.
In my opinion, one tornado at the back should draw in plenty of fresh air in from the front two fans.

Grab some case temps and experiment with different fans/configurations. That has always worked best for me.

Glyphic said:
well the tornado ain't quiet either, but should I get better case fans?
i wasnt suggesting a tornado for quietness notice i added :D :eek:
what also works and what i did is i drilled a hole in the plexy and installed a fan there blowing onto the cards
blow holes make a big diff if you dont have one, blow hole reduced my case temp consiterably

having more exaust then intake isnt that bad.. the extra air comes from all the cracks and stuff in the case

thinking about doing what was said above, getting a tornado for the exhaust for now and go from there, also working on sorting out what round ide cables to get and looking at sleeving for my psu wires which are all over the place ( I'll take a picture, it's a real mess)

fan controller is a must with a tornado.. i have a funny feeling my computers close to 20 db... i can just barely hear my seagates if i listen carefully when kill my geforce fan(soon to be gone) but thats with me close to the hdds... i have about 7 fans in my case... all on a custom fan controller

There we go, my case usually stays around 40c, mostly need to get a new hs/fan for my cpu
Case.JPG

Personally, I got one of those slot fans about a year and a half ago or so. I put it in the bottom of my case and it seems to clean up the air flow very nicely. The problem with placing them right below a video card like many people think to do is that the video card fans pull in and blow over the memory (at least, the memory on that side) so a slot fan can kind of interfere with that to some small extent. Anyway, it seems to work better for me at the very bottom instead of anywhere higher up. I guess it gets more airflow over the southbridge or something, I'm not sure. I don't know why saturnine2 has troubles with them not lasting very long. This one is just a cheap vantec I got at a best-buy. I did take it apart and clean it sometime late last year though I think. Guess that didn't exactly hurt.

EDIT: Ah of course. It must have been the cleaning. Those turbine fans are much easier to stop up. A bit of gunk in there in the right place and it would very easily burn out the motor.

I put an Antec slot fan I picked up at Komp USSR in an older HP pavilion. That's easily 5 years ago and it's still running strong.

edit: oh yeah... the HP would often shut down due to overheating (and would not boot up again for some time until it cooled down). The slot fan fixed that problem.

Back